Chapter 39 - You're still growing up now

December 1st 2020

- Lilah -

"Come on, Lil, you have to come - both of you do," Lucia rolls her eyes as she smiles at me and I blush. I told the three of them about Antonia last week because she was coming to sit with us for lunch and I didn't want them to be weird about it, but now all three of them keep pushing for more information. "I want to say yes but I need to check with my parents first, and Nia too."

I haven't told my friends about Taylor and Karlie yet, I know I can't avoid it forever but I want to wait until we know for sure that the social worker isn't just going to turn up one day and move me.

"Don't bail on me again, Lil!" Lucia laughs and I roll my eyes as she gets up to go to her next class, "I won't, I swear." She invited us all over for pizza and movies on Friday and after Halloween I still owe them.

Fliss and Arlo were at lunchtime study so once Lucia is gone I get up to go to my own class - I've got art for the rest of the day which is always my favourite, plus I get to see Antonia and it's our only class together.

"Hey - what?" I feel a hand grab my wrist as I walk into the art block, pulling me into a storage room. "Hey," I laugh as I spot Antonia smirking at me in the dull light, "I missed you," I smile as she pulls me into a kiss, "I missed you too." She pulls me into her body as we try not to bump into the shelves.

Things have been going really well the last couple of week and even Taylor and Karlie are warming to the idea of us. They were never really against it but they are nervous, just like any other parents would be I suppose.

"I hate not being able to do that all the time," she sighs as we pull apart and I nod, fixing her hair for her as I smile, "do you still wanna come over tonight to do homework?" She nods, "are your foster moms still okay with it?" Taylor and Karlie have been pretty chilled out about Nia coming around, and I'm pretty sure it's because Taylor wasn't actually kidding when she said that she was going to have someone make sure Antonia and her parents aren't psycho killers. "Karlie's out of town for work so it's just Taylor and Sel you have to worry about," Nia laughs as she shakes her head at me, "good thing they like me then, huh?"

She leans in for one last kiss and then when we hear it go quiet outside the door, we slip out into the hallway just as the bell goes for the end of lunch. We slip into the classroom, acknowledging the teacher on the way in and then taking up our usual spots in the back of the room.

I'm happy, so so happy. For the first couple of weeks that terrified me because happiness never seems to stick around in my life for long, but it's been more than a month now and nothing has changed. Taylor and Karlie are impatiently waiting on the hearing date for Rosie and August to finalize their adoption, and they've been staying on top of lawyers and social workers to try and find out when they can start to adoption process for me.

I never thought I'd find happiness like I have, and I owe it all to Taylor and Karlie. They took me in when they really didn't have to, they gave me a home and a family and that gave me the ability to meet my friends and then Antonia. After everything I've been through, I never thought I'd make it here. I never thought I'd be this happy again.

- Taylor -

With Karlie in New York handling some work, I've been left to handle our children alone, or at least I had been until I roped Selena into staying here for the next few days.

She's planning on staying out here for a while and we did tell her that we'd love to have her stay with us, but she insisted on renting a place nearby. She doesn't wanna rely on us too much when the little one arrives, but we'll be close enough to help out whenever she needs. I'm proud of her for putting herself first over everyone else in all of this, the Selena I knew five years ago would've been begging her ex to take her back or crawling back to her family even with their constant disapproval of her having this baby. She's putting herself and her baby girl first and I really admire her for doing it.