Chapter 48 - I'm drunk in the back of the car

July 8th 2021

- Karlie -

"Are you feeling okay? Do you need anything?" I smile at my overprotective wife as she perches on the edge of the bed beside me, "I feel fine and I have everything I could need right here," Taylor sighs as she nods, "I just wanna do everything I can," I nod as I reach out, holding her face in my hand, "you held my hand, you're forcing me to stay in bed and bringing me tea - I don't think there's much more you can do at this stage."

This morning we went in and had our first round of IUI, so from here it's pretty much just a waiting game until we can take a pregnancy test in two weeks and find out if we're going to add another little one to our family. Dr King did say that bed rest wasn't necessary, but it's making Taylor feel better fussing over me because she feels so helpless in all of this and she just wants to help.

"Rosie wants to come and hang out with you for a bit, can I send her up?" I nod as I smile back at her, pulling the singer into a kiss, "maybe send her up with some of those cookies you made yesterday?" Taylor smiles against my lips, "your wish is my command, my love."

She gets up and I watch her as she leaves. I know how much she's sacraficing to let me have this experience - she's done a bunch of research since Dr King mentioned reciprocal IVF and it seems like there's a really good chance she'll be able to successfully get pregnant and have a baby.

"Mama, mommy sent cookies," Rosie comes into the bedroom shortly after with a plate of cookies and I smile, "thank you, monkey," she hands them to me and I sit them on the nightstand as she climbs onto the bed beside me. "Are you feeling bad, mama?" She cuddles right into my side and I smile as I brush her hair out of her face, "no, baby, the Doctor just said that mama should rest for a little while. We can go back to playing astronauts and building sand castles tomorrow, okay?"

Rosie has always been my little sidekick and it's been so cool watching her grow and develop interests in things - specifically in space and astronauts because I think they're pretty awesome topics too.

"Can we go to the beach?" She looks up to me and I smile, "we can discuss it with mommy and Lilah later, alright?" She nods and cuddles up to me again as I search for a Disney film to put on - that is one thing I'm glad she loves because I've been obsessed with Disney since I was a kid and Ro is following in my footsteps.

- Taylor -

I can't deny the fact that I'm nervous. It feels so strange to essentially be in the father role in all of this, taking care of Karlie and waiting to see if the procedure worked. I'm gonna be a mess for the next two weeks, that's almost guaranteed.

"Relax, it'll happen when it happens, you guys are doing everything you can," I'm broken from my trance by Selena, the brunette beside me as she feeds Alessia. "I know, I just don't like that there's not more I can do," she came over to watch the little ones this morning while we went to the appointment and currently she's the only other person that knows we're trying. Well, other than Lilah and probably Antonia.

I smile as I look over to August playing on the floor with his blocks and I take a deep breath, it's all gonna work out in the end - that's what we need to hold onto.

"Where's Lil? I haven't seen her today?" I look back to Sel, "she's at Lucia's, she hasn't seen her friends much this summer so they're all hanging out today." We try to let Lil have as much freedom as she wants, but she still has to let us know where she is and what she's doing and we always have security on standby in case someone needs to get to her in a hurry.

I'm always a little nervous when she's not home, it's always the same if any of my babies aren't with me but Lilah has the opportunity to get into much more trouble than Ro or Auggie, so we just have to trust that she's making smart choices.