Other Rival

I was walking with Mina in the mall, with her hand tightly clasped in mine, when I heard my name being called.

"Chaeyoung-ah!"

I haven't even fully looked back when I felt a strong force and a body bumping to me, the said owner of the body, basically pouncing on me.

I took a few minutes to recover, only to realize that it was my childhood best friend, Jungkook's cousin, Somi.

"Yah! Somi-ah! I can't breath!" I shouted, trying to get away from her tight hug, while dodging her kisses.

"Is that the way to treat your best friend you barely see? Accept my affection, you ungrateful dwarf." And she assaulted me again.

After struggling more, I was finally free.

"How did you even know I'm here? And when did you arrive?" I said hiding behind Mina, who just stood there looking at Somi.

Why does she look frightening tho? Nah. Might be my imagination.

"Duh. I'm your boyfriend's cousin, and surprisingly, it has some perk."

"Ugh. Remind me to punch Jungkook when he gets home, babe." I asked my unnie who didn't even bother looking at me.

"Anyeong unnie! Long time no see. How are you?" Somi said to Mina unnie, finally acknowledging her presence.

By that time, Mina's arms are already crossed tightly on her chest. She then smirked before answering. Ohh... Creepy.

"Great." (That is before you came.) I think she whispered something, but I didn't quite catch it, as Somi snatched me suddenly.

"Unnie, if it wouldn't be too much. Can I borrow Chaeyoung for the day? I promise to bring her home safe and sound, don't worry. Please? Just wanna catch-up with her." She pleaded.

I saw Minari hesitating, almost gritting her teeth, but she sighed nodded anyway.

"Okay. Just make sure to keep her safe. Seems like I'll do the grocery alone today instead, baby. You have fun. Make sure to text me. Take care."

And with a quick thank you, Somi dragged me to eat with her.

---

To be honest. I had a great time with Somi. I really enjoy her company, but I can't help but think of Mina unnie. She's hates doing groceries alone. She's very shy and introverted, so she hates being alone in crowds where someone may suddenly approach her.

"Yah! Earth to Chaeyoung?" Somi snapped her fingers in front of me to catch my attention.

"Uhh. Yeah? What were you saying?" I smiled. Trying to hide the fact that I zoned out while she was talking.

"As I was saying, I really shouldn't have introduced you to Kookie! What did you even see in him? Did he use a love potion on you? Cause I was sure as hell that we would've been a better couple than you two are. Ugh."

I just laughed. Somi was my childhood best friend up to middle school, but she had to migrate to Canada, where her father was originally from, so we had to be separated. Though we were apart, we never lost communication and whenever she went home, she hangs out with me, like now. Then, one summer, her cousin decided to tag along. The thing is, according to her, he actually begged her to take him with her, for apparently, he had a crush on me. That's how I met Jungkook, and the rest is history.

"Why are you laughing?! I'm being serious, you know. And if ever he hurts you, I swear I'll snatch you from him. You are my first love, remember?"

I smiled at the thought. That's true. Before she had to go to Canada, she confessed her feelings to me, and that time, I also liked her. She was my puppy love, but in time, and due to the distance, we lost the spark. But I'm still glad that we didn't end up in another way, cause I think this is what's best for us.

"Yah! Don't be silly, Somi-ah. You know I love you, but not like that anymore, right? You'll forever hold a special place in my heart. But your cousin treats me right, and I love him, so don't worry."

She smiled weakly at me, as we proceeded to enjoy our day.