Chapter -6 The First Lessons

The First Lesson

After all that she experienced, Aisha's brain was in no condition to attend lessons. But she had to, she made a choice and she had to walk the path she chose. It was around 11:00 when the great bell rang, alerting everyone to their class.

Bani leads Aisha through the corridors for their first lesson. It could have been something better but starting the new session with an hour-long history period, was not a good thing. The two girls entered a large room, paired desks and benches placed in two parallel rows. The class had windows to the left and a large bookshelf opposite the door. In front of it was a raised platform, the teacher's desk was placed in the centre. It was a large room, made out of mustard bricks and a wooden ceiling. The room was lighted by hovering fires and lamps kept at each desk.

Students had already taken places when Bani pulled Aisha onto the first seat, as the Bhoo Mayavi boy ran away from there seeing them. Everyone was throwing hateful glares at Aisha. No one uttered anything but seemed to look uncomfortable seeing her around in school uniform. Aisha was clutching a thick book between her arms, digging her head into it to prevent seeing those faces. The class wasn't quiet, giggles and murmurs were audible as they suddenly faded and the pin-drop silence was disturbed by the sound of sturdy footsteps walking in.

A man, dressed in a brown coat and pants came, glimpsing all the faces. He had a beard and moustache he curled up always. His straight hair, lingering over his forehead had a green stripe. His green eyes sparkled as he turned to face the class from the front, the doors banged close. His eyes making contact with every student, sitting at the back and coming forth they fell on Aisha and he said,
"You? What are you here for? You should have gone away. Or...  Anything!"

Aisha stood up, looking straight into his eyes when she said,
"My greetings sir, Good Morning! I'm sorry sir, but from now onwards I will study with this batch. As instructed by the headmistress, I will attend all the classes. And during the magic sessions, it's up to me where I go."

He smirked and said,
"I like the way you speak. Human! You even smell like one. But listen to me well, it's of no use being in places you don't deserve Miss...?"

Aisha was about to say her name when he interrupted,
"Dare not utter your foolish name in front of me. Let me know your last name."

As he finished Aisha smiled and said,
"Sorry sir, but the only name I have is Aisha. I use nothing before and nothing suits me after it. It will be kind of you to call me what I am."

As the words left her mouth, her throat felt dry. Her voice turned low and shaky as she missed how proudly she used to take her full name; Aisha Rawat. But not anymore, the pain struck her heart as the memory of not being her parent's child came to her mind. A slight discomfort was in her eyes as she fidgeted her fingers against the table. She was trying her best to not show any emotions but her body language spoke it all. It was all noticed by Bani and she looked up at Aisha passing her an assuring smile.

Hearing her name, his face fell pale while many students were whispering. They were horrifically looking at her when he flickered as he said,
"So I should call you something that suits you, Miss...Nameless? Because I won't spoil my life uttering curses. And, it would be rather pleasing not to see you right under my nose. Kindly make sure you sit out of my sight, there at the back maybe or I'd like you out even more."

He pointed at the last seat, the Bhoo Mayavi sitting there who just gave them that seat. The professor called the boy in front and indicated Aisha to vanish. She sighed and picked up her stuff moving back, Bani looking miserably at her. She desired to say something when the professor hushed her and turned towards his desk.