mar.13.22

Fili didn't want to let Lullaby go; after he found her nearly broken on the riverside, all from the monsters stuck in her head, he wouldn't leave her side. He kept her in his arms, holding her tight; he felt the tighter he held her, the easier it would be for her to stay with him instead of being trapped in her mind. And he didn't want to lose her to things he couldn't fight to protect her.

In his blankets, she stayed with him; Fili held her against his chest, and wrapped her in his wool blankets. He heard her heartbeat against him. It was even now, better than it had been before. He urged her to sleep, being as she needed it, but understood that the monsters didn't make it easy for her.

He was awake and watched her; she'd closed her eyes for a bit, unsleeping. When her eyes were open, she had fear in them, and she looked lost. He would hold her tight, and reassure her of where she was, and that she was safe with him. Her eyes found him and relaxed; she recognized him, thankful she was with him instead of somewhere she didn't want to be.

Fili held her now; her eyes were open, staring up at the night sky filled with golden stars. They looked calmer than they'd been before.

"Tell me what you're thinking," Fili said softly to her.

She was quiet a long moment. "I don't want to leave here." Her voice was nearly a whisper. "I don't want to go back, I don't want the monsters to get to me." She held his hand tightly. "And if it's alright, I'd like to stay here with you, and the others, and never leave your side."

"You belong with us," Fili said then, meeting her eyes. "You always will."

"Then here is where I will be. With you."

He smiled at her; he'd been waiting for those words. "I'll always be here, okay? Don't forget that." He held her cheek. "Even when it seems like you're far away and the monsters feel near, and you can't see me at first. When you can't tell what world you're in, and when you need a shoulder to cry on or somebody to talk to – about anything and everything – I will always be here." His thumb rubbed her cheekbone as he spoke. "Promise me, you'll remember that. Remember me."

She felt tears well up in her eyes, but they were happy tears. She placed her hand over his. "I promise, Fili; I promise I will remember you, that you are my life." She smiled through her tears. "I'm not going anywhere, Fili. I'm staying in Middle Earth with you."

He smiled; leaning forward, he kissed her forehead. "You're safe now."