CHAPTER NINETEEN

"Some old wounds never truly heal, and
bleed again at the slightest word."
~ George R.R. Martin

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS OF DEATH, BREAKDOWN

"What about him?"

"Can we go into your room, it's more private, please?" I nod my head, making my way into my room, leaving the door open for Lucien. What could he possibly have to say about Helion? Why does he seem so serious? I'm finally happy. Is he really going to try and take that away from me? We are twins.

I sit on the burgundy chair, fitted for Illyrian wings, sitting in the middle of the room. While sitting I take in the room that I have been given, appreciating the fact that they have made adjustments to suit my needs. The room still fits the Day Court theme with the decor surrounding the bed, walls and ceiling, but the bedding itself is that of the Night Court and the furniture that of the Autumn. How could Lucien contemplate taking this away from me?

"I don't want you to think I'm trying to take away your happiness," I look at his face as he sits on the sofa next to me, "We're twins. I know what you're thinking."

"Then what are you trying to do?"

"Help you understand and know what to expect when living here?"

"What do you mean?"

"Helion. He's, uh, how do I word this?"

"Just rip the damn band aid off, Lucien!"

"I don't understand that reference." Confusion covering his face, as his head tilts to the side in contemplation

"Just tell it to me straight."

"Ohhh," his confusion turned to realisation, "Helion is known to be more of an open being."

"Come again?"

"He likes to sleep around, usually with more than one person in his bed at the same time."

"Okay? Why did you feel the need to tell me this?"

"Don't think I didn't notice you two at dinner, Lia, I just don't want you to get your heart broken, falling for the wrong male."

"And I don't need you to protect me, Luce, I appreciate the effort, I really do, but I'm a big girl."

"I know you are, I also know that you can handle yourself, but I'm your brother, it's in my nature to protect you." A small smile comes to my face, but immediately falls as his face drops.

"Luce, what is it?"

He looks at me before asking, "Are you sure you are okay with me being here?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, maybe it has something to do with you jumping and flinching anytime I come near you?"

I didn't think he'd noticed.

"Of course I noticed. Lia, you're scared of me."

"It's not that. I don't know what it is, but I know it's not you."

"What if I went away for a bit? Give you time to heal?"

"No. The only way I can heal, is having you beside me. Okay? You are not going anywhere, do you understand?"

"I understand and I'm sorry for all the times that I have hurt you."

"I forgive you, Luce."

He looks down at his hands, wringing them in anxiety, almost as if he doesn't want me to see how he is feeling.