CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

"To whatever end?"
"To whatever end, Fireheart.""
~ Sarah J. Maas

TRIGGER WARNING: REFERENCE TO RAPE, TRAUMA, SMUT (INDICATED BY SONG CHANGE)

Walking into the meeting room, the vibe in the air was very different to how it was yesterday. Yesterday, there was unresolved tension with pretty much everyone, which was definitely...something, but today, today the sun has brought a new kind of issue: everyone was tired and wanted to go back to their own court.

I happen to agree with that, as after feeling the mating bond clicked in place, I have found it extremely hard not to pounce onto Helion and rip his clothes off, worshipping every inch of his god-like body. I wanted to be devoured by him and him only. My restraint was becoming thinner and thinner.

Helion was dressed in a sandy coloured toga with gold lining the edges. Today I wore a shimmering gold dress that pooled onto the smooth cream coloured stone floor, with a V-neck and sleeves similar to the ones on my red dress, allowing me to have some coverage.

Bronwyn was in her normal armour and Jasmine was in gold trousers with a cropped top, matching Helion and Asher's gold toga.

Sitting down on my low backed chair, accommodated for my wings, I watched as Helion pulled his chair right up next to mine, before sitting down and taking my hand in his, his thumb gently rubbing against my hand. He was clearly a bit on edge having all these males around with his mate. If the positioning of his chair didn't show that, then the tightness of his jaw and glare he sent to every males direction did.

Soon enough, everyone was gathered, allowing the meeting to start in a much calmer manner than yesterday.

"I thoroughly reviewed the charts and figures you've compiled, Tamlin." Helion said beside me, a sharpness in his voice that shocked most people in the room due to their slightly widened eyes and raised eyebrows. Jasmine however was grinning, clearly happy she has a new member to her protective mate club.

"And?" Tamlin bit out, clearly in a lovely mood which just made Helion tense up even more which I didn't think was even possible.

As I send support and calmness down the bond, Helion carries on, a tad less rigid than before, "And, if you can rally your forces quickly, you and Tarquin might be able to hold the front line long enough for those of us above the Middle to bring the larger hosts."

"It's not that easy," Tamlin gritted out, making me now send a look his way, not happy about the tone he used to speak to my mate. I bet Jasmine was having a bloody field day about this all. "I have a third of them left," Tamlin goes on to say, before turning to Feyre, "After Feyre destroyed their faith in me."

"Karma's a bitch." I whisper under my breath, or at least I thought I did but the light chuckles in the room clearly indicated that I hadn't, and the laughter Helion sent down the glowing bond.

I'm glad my embarrassment is humorous to you. I said to him.

Oh definitely, my sunbeam.

Sunbeam?

I'm trying to think of a nickname to give you.

And you thought of sunbeam?

You're right, smartarse is a more accurate name for you.

Dick.

Naming the things we want now, are we?

My head snaps towards him as heat rushes to my cheeks, as he sends a seductive smirk my way with a wink.

Imbecile.

Before our silent conversation could carry on, Nesta lets out a strangled sound as she falls out of her chair, pressing herself up against the fountain as Feyre jumps out of her chair, running to her sister's side along with Mor who demands, "What's wrong?" Panic clear in her voice.