CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

I FEEL PAINNNNN, PAINNNN OH PAINNNN" - BROKEN AUTHOR 2
-
"We all are fools in love."
~ Jane Austen

Jasmine

I was on my way to Asher when I first smelt the smoke.

The thickness of the burnt ash invaded my senses, causing me to let out a series of coughs.

Looking around frantically, I finally notice the smoke coming out from under the door.

Bronwyn's bedroom.

Shit.

Without thinking, I burst into the room, throwing the door off of its hinges as I leap back just before the flames could catch hold of me.

ASHER! I scream down the bond as panic overwhelms me, preventing me from thinking clearly which prevented my magic from putting out the fire.

Jasmine? What's wrong? Where are you? Are you hurt! My mates' panicked voice yells down the bond as my eyes survey the burning room, trying to find B within the dancing, flickering flames.

B's room, hurry!

What felt like seconds later, I heard thundering footsteps come from down the hall.

Asher is the first person who comes into view wearing his training leathers with a group of soldiers following behind him, indicating that he came from training with the rest of the troops.

Making it to my side, my mate gently but frantically grabs hold of my arms, whilst his now pure black eyes, indicating the primal side of him was in full control.

After checking me over, he finally seems to realise what the issue was as his head swivels towards my sister's burning room.

"I-I cant get to her, Asher. My magic, it's not- I don't know what's happening but I can't stop the fire." I said to my mate, panic laced within every word.

My mate quickly moves me away from the door as he yells orders at the soldiers, telling them to get the High Lady, Eris and Lucien.

"I have to go in." I say to Asher as I try to push past him, all logic leaving me as I try to get to my sister.

Asher steps in front of me, stopping my path as he cups my face, his face stern. "Jasmine, if you think I will stand by and watch you run into a fire then you are sorely mistaken, especially considering you are heavily pregnant with our child."

Before I can reply, the hallways doors once again get thrown open as Aurelia and Lucien burst through, Helion and the other soldiers close behind them.

Wordlessly, I watch as Lucien and Aurelia step into Bronwyn's room, allowing the flames to harmlessly surround them.

Even though they couldn't get hurt, I could still see the tightness of Helion's jaw considering his mate was pregnant.

What feels like an hour finally passes as we all see the fire disappear, leaving a crumbling room behind with my sister and Koeschi getting helped from the floor by Aurelia and Lucien.

Panic still controlling me, I ran out of Asher's arms and into my sisters, nearly knocking her back as a result.

Bronwyn's arms wrap around me after a second, her body slumping against mine as her silence fills the destroyed room, mirroring how I knew my sister felt in this moment.

I don't know how long we stood there for but eventually we both pull back and the second I saw the broken smile on her face, I knew that I was not allowing this to carry on.