CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

"You must understand: they fear you. There is nothing scarier in their minds than a girl who knows the power of her flames."

~ Nikita Gill

"Are you sure you're ready, my Little Phoenix?" Aunty Amren drawls from beside me.

"Remember that you don't have to wear a dress, it's completely up to you."

"Yeah, what she said."

Looking myself in the mirror, I see someone who i didn't think I would ever see again. I see a little girl, walking with her mother in Velaris, looking at all the stunning dresses in the shop windows, wondering if she would ever be able to wear one.

"Mummy! Look at the dresses, can we get one, can we get one pleeeease?"

"Darling, they are way too big for you, you're going to have to wait a while for your time." Mummy says next to me as she strokes my short hair.

"But I don't want to wait!" I scream, impatient as ever.

"Listen to me Aurelia," She whispers as she kneels down in front of me, cupping my tiny face, "You're time in the sun will come eventually, darling. You have to be patient, and never give up when times are hard."

"But I don't like waiting!"

"Oh I know, darling, I definitely know," she laughs, looking at me with tears lining her eyes.

"Mummy, why are you crying? I-if it's because I don't want to wait i-i can."

Shaking her head softly, she whispers, "It's not that, sweetheart. I just need you to listen to mummy for a minute okay?"

I nod my head slowly.

"There is a chance that I won't always be able to be there for you when you need me, and so I need you to know that I will always be watching you, even if you can't see me, I will see you. I will always be with you, my little flame, and I will love you forever and ever."

"Even when I'm bad?"

"Even then."

"Even when the stars take you away from me?" I ask, feeling my chin quiver.

"Even then. But when that happens, if you ever want to talk to me, look up to the stars and you'll see me. I'll be a star in the night sky, watching over you, no doubt smiling at how grown up you will be"

"But what if I want to speak to you during the day?"

"Then look at the sun and smile, and I'll smile back."

"Why can't I come with you, we can be in the stars together!"

"Because, your time amongst the stars will not be for a very very long time my darling. You have a long, beautiful, shining life ahead of you my little flame, with so many people you are going to meet along the way. And then after your countless adventures, smiles and laughs, I will come and visit you, and I'll take you to the stars with me."

"She is proud, girl." Aunty Amren swallowed back her tears. "Don't forget what she told you."

As I look at myself in the mirror, all grown up, I see the person that Mum always wanted to see. A female embracing her heritage. A female slowly taking back what was taken from her. And, a daughter who still looks to the sun and smiles.

"I know." I smile. "And yes, I'm sure that I want to wear this. I know that I said that last time and that ended up with me being an actual ball of fire, but that was before."