𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 41

𝖓𝖆𝖒𝖊𝖘?

𝕻𝖍𝖔𝖊𝖇𝖊 𝖗𝖊𝖒𝖊𝖒𝖇𝖊𝖗𝖘 𝖜𝖆𝖐𝖎𝖓𝖌 up. Her sister was smiling by her side, Lucy occupying the other side of the bed.

She remembered how the sunlight bounced off her sister's features, her slightly swollen stomach catching her eye immediately.

She remembered how she sprung up in the hospital wing bed. She ignored everyone shooting up, just so she could find out how long she had been out.

Phoebe chuckled at the memory as Mariam led her down the hall. Jax flew behind them impatiently, time was ticking by and he was eager to get back to Phoenix.

Phoebe, of course, was too busy chatting away nonsense with her friend to pick up on it. Her mouth ran millions of miles faster than her brain could ever comprehend. "Lucy informed me that she was sneaking around with the duke." Mariam let out a small gasp. Her quiet nature came in handy when Phoebe was spreading the daily gossip.

Jax huffed. "Phoebe, I must get back to your sister."

Mariam looked at the flapping being cautious. Her fingers curled into the sleeve of Phoebe's gown. In her kingdom, dragons plagued the villages and wreaked havoc on anything that dared to move. A small flare crossed her eyes before Phoebe began to speak.

"Oh right!" She fumbled around her dress pockets. The small letter was somewhere she knew it was. Her hand slipped into the fabric and finally, she felt the delicate parchment. She waved the letter in the air, "Found it!"

"Do you want an applause?" He deadpanned. Both women scowled.

꧁꧂

Phoenix twirled the beads around her fingers. Edmund had kept her in the room all day. Her boredom was slowly driving her into madness. She had attended one trial and he had convinced himself she needed rest.

She did not rest.

The Narnian summer kept luring her to her balcony. Each time she would grow miserable and slump into bed.

Now she had pearls wrapped around her fingers. Phoenix watched as they turned purple and flushed back to their original color.

The door creaked open and Phoenix grinned. "Finally." She breathed, her chest leaping with excitement. Her anticipation for the salty Narian breeze to pass through her hair and draw her into the ocean.

Phoenix clasped her hands together. "Can we go now?" Her smile resembled one a kid would give on Christmas morning.

"Did you rest?" Edmund asked.

"Yes, of course, I did." Edmund raised a brow. Her voice cracked, she was lying to him. "What's that look for?"

He shook his head and took short strides over to her. "You're lying to me."