𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 52

𝖎𝖛𝖊 𝖒𝖎𝖘𝖘𝖊𝖉 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖇𝖊𝖆𝖚𝖙𝖞

The crickets hummed a gentle call into his ears as the sun crept over the horizon

The crickets hummed a gentle call into his ears as the sun crept over the horizon. The solar rays acted as a luminous lantern trickling through the trees and the large cream tent. The light slipped through the cracks of the thick fabric and bounced off of a tanned cheek. The king grumbled as the heat of the light sunk into his cheeks, urging him to awaken from his slumber. The king turned in his cot, sinking back into the soft, plush foreign silk.

The king was sprung from his sleep when the cot was tilted over, knocking him to the grassy ground. "Get up! We are returning home today!" Lucy sang, looking down at her older scowling older brother.

"What was that for!?" He shouted back, rubbing dirt off his now filthy cheek.

Lucy sat on her hip, crossing her arms over her chest. "If we leave now, we will make it home by lunchtime and I would very much like a jelly toast." Since their trip across the Western Wood to consult with some of the faye in the area, all their diet contained was different meat and fruits found amongst the wood. Recently, the faye and the sprites were feuding over territory. Hence why Edmund and Lucy were sent.

The king was known for his fair judgment and counseling, making him the first obvious choice. Lucy's knowledge of the many beings living within Narnia and her kin to all made her an excellent choice for their mission. Phoenix had insisted that she come along but soon found she was unable to continue on with their lengthy conquest. Most regrettably, due to a conflict of interest, Lucy and Edmund's journey had been extended from two weeks to two months. The only form of communication the two received from Cair Paravel was from Jax.

The two dearly missed their loved ones. Edmund's heart panged every time his mind drifted to the women waiting for him to return home. He had received a letter a week into his venture telling him that Stella and Phoenix had visited her sister and cousin. Attached to the letter was a page of colorful scribbles and shapes. At the bottom corner, the letters were warped and sloppily made cursive with unattached letters that read: to da dd y.

"Now get up!" Lucy exasperated, tugging her sword tighter around her body.

After finding clothes much more suitable for riding a horse, he exited his tent to see the camp slowly, but surely, dismantling.

Soon they would be ready to ride and he could sink into the soft pillowy mattress he so desperately missed. The warm vanilla and floral smell would trap him inside the sheets forever. When his eyes would finally flutter open he would be met with those identical to his, but soft brown curls that undoubtedly never belonged to him. A gentle hand would be combing through the tangled mess as the warm voice would describe the scene unfolding in the ink and paper.

How he missed them so.

"Up bright and early this morning, I see." Edmund was met with the snout of his favorite companion, Philip. "Obviously to your dismay."