𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 56

𝕴 𝖜𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖉𝖔 𝖆𝖓𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌

𝕾𝖔𝖋𝖙 𝖘𝖓𝖔𝖗𝖊𝖘 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖑𝖞 echoed in the hall

𝕾𝖔𝖋𝖙 𝖘𝖓𝖔𝖗𝖊𝖘 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖑𝖞 echoed in the hall. Stella slept curled up against her father's side whilst her father stayed with his head propped up against the wall. Lucy rested on her older brother's knee, drool slowly traveling down her chin. The elder of the Pevensies sat in contemplation, eyelids drooping and posture slumping with the rising sun. All were still adorned in their night clothes like little children sleeping soundly on Christmas Day after they had opened every present possible.

Padded feet slapped against the ground, quick pitter-patters echoed in the castle. Mrs. Beaver tugged along her husband hastily seeking the Kings and Queens of Narnia after receiving the grave news. Her husband fell behind wheezing for breath, "I told you to lay off the biscuits this morning!" She snapped rousing the High King and Queen from their light slumber.

"I was hungry!"

Mrs. Beaver pressed open the door, her warm eyes softening at the family. To her, they were just the same small children seeking their brother. To her, they would be nothing more than happy children. "Oh dear," She began as she caught the eyes of Susan. Her red-rimmed eyes told all.

"It's not looking good, eh?" Mr. Beaver concluded, tipping his head down.

The door rumbled open, finally stirring the younger of the Pevensies. A gentle faun entered the waiting area, a sad frown sat atop her lips. Edmund was on his feet in a split second and Stella whined not enjoying being risen from her sleep.

Mrs. Beaver waddled to the Just King, bowing politely. "If you would not mind, I could take the princess off your hands for a while."

A gracious smile slipped on his face as he lowered Stella to the ground, pecking her cheek. "That would be wonderful. Thank you."

Mr. Beaver clapped his lowered shoulder, "Of course, Your Majesty."

The lady beaver took the hand of the princess, leading her the opposite way. "How does tea with Mr. Tumnus sound dear? If Mr. Beaver hasn't eaten the biscuits all on the way here." Her soft giggles echoed down the hall as they disappeared around the corner, sucking the joy out of the room.

Lucy tugged her robe closer to her body, chills creeping up her legs and fingertips. "Has progress been made?" She asked, breaking the silence as the siblings joined their brother's side. Edmund felt a soft hand wrap around his arm and he couldn't help but wish it was Phoenix's waking him up from a nightmare. However, it was only Susan who did her best to pass him a warm smile.

He took a step forward. "Can I see her?" The question plagued his avid mind both in his dreams and his waking hours.

The faun bowed her head in silence, gathering her words. "I am sorry, Your Majesty but I regret to inform you, you cannot. I am deeply sorry for the words to befall my lips but I must give only the facts. The Queen, I am afraid, will not survive. Neither will survive."