The Sacrifice Of A Mother

With a deafening sound that makes the birds fly away, the bullet comes out of the gun barrel and aims directly at Lois' left arm.

The impact of the bullet is very powerful and hurls Lois back several feet, throwing her onto her back. The pain is excruciating. Lois can feel her arm burning. Blood soaks her sleeve. But she doesn't scream. She won't give Cecil that satisfaction.

She tries to breathe, but it's hard. The vest presses against her chest. This damn weight is unbearable. But... No. No. It's not the vest. The weight on her chest is something else. Lois opens her eyes and all she sees is the barrel of the gun. Cecil has her foot on Lois' chest, holding her down. She stands over her, aiming for her face.

 She stands over her, aiming for her face

Cecil: Those eyes. So much like his.

This is it, Lois. The end is here. The first bullet didn't kill you, but what about the second?

Ah, Sebastian! Where are you? No, Lois. Don't give up now. You have got to buy some time. You have got to try. You have to try. He'll come. He always comes.

Lois: Dalida...

Cecil: Don't call me that! I'm not her. She died. She died when she found out that the man she loved more than anything wanted another woman. I am Cecil Longstone, and now I am going to deal you the death blow. There, between the eyes. His eyes.

Lois: Please, don't!

Cecil: Any last words?

Lois takes her eyes off the gun barrel and looks up, between the trees. She looks up at the moon. It still has the red shadows around it.

Lois: I'm sorry, Sebastian. I love you!

Cecil: Go to hell, devil spawn.

Lois closes her eyes, waiting to hear the gunshot, but instead a voice breaks the silence of the night. A voice that Lois could have distinguished between a million voices. His voice.

Sebastian: Odysseus, NOW!

A breath of air and the weight disappears from Lois' chest. Two strong arms grab her and a very familiar smell envelops her.