Tiny Vessels (NSFW)

Bruce keeps to his word as you check your bedroom. He has his uniform waiting on the bed. "No nights off?" You ask lightly. He shrugs. "I have some insights I want to look into, but I might put it off." He stands in front of the bed, rubbing his chin. "Gordon might want the night off to plan accordingly, which I understand." He doesn't acknowledge your presence with his gaze.

"What will you do if you go out tonight?" You ask, moving around him.

He shrugs. "I would either go to the Wayne Towers to check progress on the repair and evidence or resume my research on Elliot and Co. Gordon hasn't been able to find anything about Jonathan Crane." He rests his forehead against his fist. "He's a follower from my research. He is not strong enough to work alone like Elliot or Dent, but he's a key." He grimaces, looking up, his eyes finally meeting yours.

"A missing piece..." A shiver travels up your spine. Your breathing quickens as you remember the tall man's icy blue gaze on your face as he tells you about your demise. Bruce notices as if coming back down to Earth. His brows knit lower as he moves closer to you. "I'm fine, I swear. I just felt a little weird." You say, not wanting to concern him further. Nevertheless, he searches for any deceiving emotions in your face. "I don't want you to lie to me to make me not worry. You went through a lot (Y/N). Please do not ignore it." Your jaw tightens as the hidden emotions try to bubble up. You tear your eyes from his, the feelings simmering. "Not tonight."

His frown deepens. "I don't have to go out tonight." He says earnestly, his hands resting on your shoulders and arms. "We haven't talked about that day." You exhale, "I don't want to."

His hands drop to his sides, giving you space. You know he won't push you to open up. He runs his hand over his face, returning to his internal debate. "I think I will go out, but not for long. I don't think anyone would try anything before he is promoted. Tomorrow night is not promised." You barely listen, remembering Elliot's touch. You wonder if he knows you're here. You've kept your new temporary address hidden, but you never know. What if Bruce is just Elliot with a better mask? His shoulders tense at your prolonged staring. "Are you okay to be alone tonight? I can stay." You nod quickly.

"I'm fine, Bruce. I really am." He doesn't believe you, but he bows your head in your direction.

He doesn't change in front of you, hiding in the closet. You wonder if there's a secret door, too, but he comes out. His hood lowers over his eyes. There's a change in his demeanor. His posture is more stooped, and he scowls. His dark hair peeks under the hood. He keeps to himself as he walks over to the dresser for a mask. He checks his watch before scoffing, his scowl deepening. "I didn't realize tomorrow is Halloween." He straightens, looking back to you. "We'll have to keep our guards up." He grabs the black baseball cap as well. You see his blue eyes almost glowing until you realize he's smudged paint around his eyes. No wonder his eyes look tired in the morning. He slips the hat on, his hair more hidden. "I won't be long tonight unless I find something. Don't wait up for me this time." You give a slow nod, watching as he heads to the door. You don't relax at all that night.

You barely sleep. Your anxiety won't go away. When you close your eyes, you replay Elliot's attempted assault. When you distract yourself with your phone, hoping to fall asleep, the news reminds you of last year. You saw the Year in Memorium posts this week but didn't look further, but now they flood your timeline. You weren't that invested in his death last year, besides the usual empathy you feel when someone distant dies. However, fear settled that week as the Riddler killed his victims and The Flood. You sigh, sitting up, rubbing your temples. It's hard to sleep when everything is traumatic. You wonder what Batman is doing, almost getting up and finding the monitor, but stay put. You don't need to know. Not tonight anyway. Your eyes are suddenly heavy as you stop fighting sleep.