New Slang

You sneak out of the room, nervous that you'd be caught. Harvey fucking Dent. Anger bubbles in your stomach making you feel a bit nauseous that he admitted that your kidnapping was half of his doing. Bruce isn't violent enough, but Batman can be, right? How come he didn't sock him in the face right then? You almost slam your door, but you close gently. You don't want to alert Alfred that something is wrong.

You check your phone as it buzzes in your hand, almost dropping it when you see it's Bruce calling. You take a deep breath, smoothing out your hair as you answer. "Hi Bruce," You say trying to sound normal, but your voice sounds too high.

"My meetings are done. I just dropped Lucius off at his hotel and I think we're in good hands." He wastes no time, and you hear a tinge of excitement in his voice. "That's amazing," You say as you head to the bathroom to do light makeup for today. "What were you doing?"

Your heartbeat quickens as you think of something to say. "I was getting ready to go hang out with Kara. She invited me to her luncheon." You know Kara would hate that you told Bruce, but you can't think of any harm in letting him know. "Oh." Your eyebrows raise as you carefully lean forward applying mascara. "Oh?" You repeat, wondering if he would elaborate.

"I wanted to see you. But I know you haven't seen your friend in a while." Bruce replies tightly. "You can join me. I know you wanted to come to the conference," You say softly as you apply the makeup to your eyes. "That is true."

You pull away sighing. "I can meet you there, or we can go with each other," You say satisfied with your makeup of the day. "I'll meet you there. That way you can have your time alone with your friend. I don't want to be overbearing." Bruce replies quickly. Even though he is not in front of you, you can see his eyebrow furrowing a bit, a quick eye roll to hide that he is bothered. "You're not overbearing. I'll see you later, sweetheart. We'll have alone time soon."

He hangs up before you and you sigh. You do feel a bit bad, knowing he probably feels slighted that you're 'avoiding' him. Are you avoiding him? You don't know as you walk out of the room. He is a good man, so you can't think of any other reasons why you shouldn't do this besides the main ones you've already pondered. Your brows lower as you continue thinking. If your read on your boyfriend is correct, he'll be back to being cold and unreadable if he thinks you want out. You never had to stay, (Y/N), he'd say. The irritation behind his eyes.

You slow down the hall when you hear Alfred talking to someone. You thought it was over the phone, but the voice is too clear. It's a woman with a slightly deeper voice. You hesitate. You've already snooped on Bruce today. Do you need to snoop on Alfred?

"Well if you have no more questions for me, we'll get you started as soon as possible." He says, his tone brighter than usual. "I don't, but I am so grateful for the opportunity Mr. Pennyworth. I will not let you down." You hear the chairs move on the wooden floor and you straighten, quickly skipping down the hall as if you were just leaving your room to leave. Technically you were, but just got distracted. The door opens as you're halfway down the stairs.

Alfred must have the keenest ears as you hear him call after you. "(Y/N)! Is that you?" You stop, debating continuing as if you didn't hear him or going up, but you glance up and see him looking over the marble banister. "There's someone I'd like you to meet." He waves you up and you grimace, hoping it is not a long-lost Wayne here to snoop for more information.

The woman stands tall with her dark hair pulled back in a slick ponytail, her arms crossed, though, under her dark jean jacket, you can see she's muscular. Security guard. You smile as you look into her face. Her tan skin is clear and shines healthily. Maybe you'll ask her what her skincare routine is so you'll have perfect skin when you walk down the aisle. The thought sends a shiver up your spine. Her brown eyes are stern but kind as they crinkle with her smile. She is nervous as she puts her hand out.