Rabbit Hole

The smell of makeup and sprays fill the trailer as they prep you for the shoot. Your mind rolls Clark's questions over. It would be best if you stood out more. Being Bruce's girlfriend turned fiancé is not a fun personality. You can be fun. You can be interesting. You're intelligent and witty.

The makeup artist stands in front of you, gently rubbing between your brows. "Don't frown so much, dear. Unless you hate the look and want us to change it." You blink at the woman coming back to Earth. "Oh, you're fine. I'm just thinking too hard." You say quickly.

"Well, in that case, you're done!" She gathers her things without saying much, the wardrobe team waiting for their turn outside the door.

You check your phone seeing no new notifications. Maybe you're a little boring... You stare at the ceiling, wondering what to do to stand out from this big shadow. What did you do before? Are you worthy of this pedestal? You aren't sure as the wardrobe team wheels in three different looks. The first one is a wisteria tulle dress with puff sleeves. You feel like a fairy as the light fabric surrounds you. You spin around as it flares out. They make a few adjustments that require you to stand still. Your mind instead races. You should have heard something from Bruce by now.

The studio has a backdrop with different colors and props that you can choose from, but the photographer, Harry, has chosen a soft blush color and a bouquet of baby's breath and lavender to compliment the dress. You feel so delicate as you awkwardly hold the bouquet. You're not a model or anything of that nature. You have three poses: Smiling, that dead eye pout you started doing ironically but now can't help it, and peace signs. You give a sympathetic smile to Harry as he gets behind the camera. The lights warm the room quickly, and sweat coats your skin slightly.

"I don't want this to be overwhelming for you, (Y/N)! You've got a whole wedding and life to plan with your mister, so I'll be as painless as possible. Just act natural." Harry says, his voice calming. You grimace as you aren't sure how to act naturally. You bring the bouquet up to your face, smelling it to inspect if they were natural or artificial. The soothing scent of the lavender mixed with the soft baby's breath calms your nerves, and you hear the shutter of his cameras.

"A shy bride! Coy maybe," Harry muses as you glance up, keeping the flowers under your nose. He keeps snapping pictures as you do random poses you think you've seen other models do in magazines. Harry stops snapping after a moment and shakes his head. "Be yourself, (Y/N)."

Be yourself. You wish you knew what that meant.

"Let's take some pictures without the flowers," Harry states as his assistant gently takes them from you. You smooth out your skirt, mind reeling. "Can you spin for me?" He asks, getting his camera ready. You feel silly twirling again but do it anyway. He keeps snapping pictures, and you hear them play more upbeat music. You think you recognize the song, and you sway from side to side, catching yourself bobbing your head along. "Do you want to dance to this song?" Harry asks with a sweet smile.

You nod, "I think it'd help my nerves." You wave Sabrina over, who looks slightly confused as you pick up your moves a little more. You would rather dance with her than Harry, no offense to him. Your hands take hers as you swing your arms together. She laughs with you as the tulle dress flares at your sides and behind you. You hear Harry's camera shutter as you both continue to dance. Sabrina slowly lets go of your hands, leaving you to dance alone as the song starts to fade into another one. You keep up your dancing, not wanting your nerves to take over.

Your pictures go by fast. Harry is full of praise and kind words while your mind still does gymnastics. You're taking your last images in a mock a-train wedding dress that feels long on your back. Sabrina does her best to guide the dress during pictures while you make mental notes for nothing this dramatic. A simple dress would be enough. You don't notice Bruce arriving even though Harry rushes your last snaps. "I think we'll keep this dress on for the couple photos. Bruce is almost ready." You blink in recognition but barely have time to register and ask questions as he's already heading toward you. His smile hides something, but you don't know what. His hand on the small of your back calms you as you quickly kiss his cheek.