18. love story

Lisha's POV

They say A sister is our first friend and second mother, And also just like George RR Martins said, You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you. The bond I have with my sisters is out of this world. Another thing I can't help admiring is the strong bond between some half-siblings out there. All I share with mine are envy, malice, and hatred. I guess our parents have a role to play in that or maybe it's in our DNA.

Auntie Fatou has been scolding me for not washing the dishes yesterday so I decided to clean them today. Lady Mariama insisted on helping me but I stopped her. It's just dishes and I didn't need help anyways.

"Umm lady Mariama?" I called out her name to get her attention.

"Yes, ma'am Lisha" she answered.

"How long have you been working here," I asked.

"Before Aisha was born," she said smiling.

"Wow! Just like auntie Jeneba." I exclaimed.

"That's 22years of being our chef."

"More than 22years honey," she said in her sweet soft voice. I always love when lady Mariama speaks. It's like there's this warm era in her tone every time she says something.

"Do you want to hear a story?" She asked all of a sudden.

"Yes please," I replied, neatly wiping each plate before gently placing it on the cabinet shelf racks for our plate collection.

"In my village, years ago, there lived a young handsome boy whose father was a pastor, and a beautiful girl whose parents were farmers. The two youths got drawn to each other and fell in love." I look at the storyteller and smiled.

"They were so happy. The boy will always buy her flowers and even a pair of shoes and the girl will also cook for him." She said.

"Aww that's beautiful, so what happened?" I asked.

"What do you think to happen to such a lovely couple?" she asked instead.

"Umm well, since it's a village setting, the lady probably got pregnant and after a lot of misery in the society, the two lovers got married," I said.

"Haha so you know my story better than I do." she chuckled.

"Well ma'am Lisha, that's not exactly what happened." She said, her hands were busy slicing some onions on a cutting board.

"Ohh...." my guess was wrong then.

"The lovers were really happy but they remain discreet from their parents."

"Why was that?" I asked curiously. If it wasn't pregnancy, then it doesn't make sense in hiding that from your parents.

"Were they too young for a relationship or what?"

"No, the boy was 20 and the girl was 18" she answered.

"But they knew their parents wouldn't approve of their relationship so they kept it quiet. But one day, the boy's little sister saw them together and told his parents. You see ma'am Lisha, the boy was a Christian and the girl was a Muslim."