40. Shock

My playlist while writing this chapter;

So soon.                        Maher Zain
Supermarket flower. Ed Sheeran
Mama's hand. Queen Naija
Hold on.                       Chord Overstreet
Arcade.                         Duncan Laurence
Ave Maria.                   Beyonce
Oh mother.                  Christina Aguilera,
I got you. Ciara
Goodbye.                      Celine Dion
Ghost. Justin Bieber

Lisha's POV

I knew death existed, I knew someday we are all leaving. But death really took a toll on me when it took my mama away. Still, in shock and distress, I rest my head on Aisha's lap, my body folding so I can fit into the couch. Our friends and families filled our house to mourn with us. Everyone shared their condolences with us, I keep nodding to the sympathizing words while my mind went back to last night.

Sasha and I had heard screams outside when we were in bed. We had both jumped out of bed and looked at each other puzzled, before anxiously leaving, Sasha grabbing her lens on our way out. Did something happen to papa? Did a fight take place? Sasha was blocking my view, so I had to fasten my pace, and just around the corner inches away from papa's room office, I saw Aisha on the floor causing a scene as she cries bitterly in lady Mariama's arms. Papa squatting on top of her was trying to pat her back as both her and lady Mariama sobbed.

Somehow Sasha had stopped walking and stood frozen while I walked toward them. Papa was reading the Quran verse saying Allah is great there is no God but God, and I looked up at him confused,

"What's going on who past away." I heard Sasha ask and I cowered in fear. What does she mean by that? I thought papa might have done something to Aisha that's why she's crying. Or is it Zainab again.

"Where is Kesha?" papa asked as he reached for both our shoulders.

"Papa what is going on!" Sasha tremble as she stood with her big glasses on.

"You poor little things, your mother has passed away."

A sad shadow descended over me as I looked at papa like he was joking. I tried getting away from him but his strong arms held me. It was the most devastating feeling ever, I felt numb and choked as I glared at him my fingers digging into his skin.

"I am so sorry," he said.

"What did you say?" my heart felt pierced by papa's words. Why will he say such a thing about my mama? Feeling helpless, I looked at Aisha who was crying out loud and wet tears dropped from my eyes.

"No, Papa. I was with her yesterday, you can ask Sasha I saw her yesterday! She was okay, she was fine she smiled a lot! The doctor even told us she was improving, trust me she's alive, she can't be dead. We need to go to the hospital right now! please, papa. I want to see my mama, my beautiful mama."

Fresh tears dropped on the corners of my eyes as my mind reflected the look papa gave me as he shook his head at me. I had opened my mouth to argue but I was lost, a heavy sadness and longing for mama pressed on me. I closed my eyes picturing mama.

"Good night to you..." mama will start singing every time she coaxes me to sleep.

"Good night to me..." I will sing, smiling at her, my little hands wrapped around my barbie doll.

"Now close your eyes and go to sleep...." her mellifluous voice sounded like honey to my ears as I watched her. She was so beautiful and perfect. Her light skin body felt smooth and warm.