47. Seer

Lisha's POV

Today was one of those days when the house looks like it was up for sale. No noise. Regardless of the rollercoaster days we have had, it still feels peaceful. Of course, the whole family has returned. My sisters, Auntie Fatou, and her children. Sammy acts like he is now the head of the house. I mean it shouldn't be a surprise since he is now the one running papa's bauxite company. However, the rest of the family is still property conscious and everyone is impatient to know their own shares. Well, everyone except me and my sisters. it's no news that we aren't papa's favorite so why bother.

For a while, Aisha seemed hellbent on contacting mama's lawyer but finally, she has given up. I mean, I expected her to be smart enough to know that we can't fight papa over his house but thank God, she has finally let it go.

As for Auntie Binta and her children, they act like they are the real maliks, the rest of us are just strangers living with them. She already shared all papa's stuff with the needy and has thrown Zainab's belongings away.

Speaking of Zainab, she is still locked in jail, for a crime I doubt she committed. I should be happy of cause because that lady was never nice to me and she is the worst type of person you want to know. But it still bugs me regardless, no one deserves to suffer for another man's crime. But if she didn't kill him, then who else did? The thought has been troubling me even in my sleep.

First I thought of my sister Kesha. I mean she had every motive to kill papa. I would have definitely suspected her, had she been home when papa died but she wasn't.

Thank God for that.

Then came Linda to mind. Ever since Zainab got married to papa things have been miserable for her and Stella. What if she killed him. Linda is very evil-minded and I won't be surprised if she killed him. But then the Linda I know would likely kill Zainab instead of papa. Right?
But it also makes sense since the killer ended up framing Zainab.

"Killing two birds with one stone," I muttered.

"Wait what?" Sasha asked.

"Oh... it's nothing." I answered. I wasn't aware that I was speaking my thoughts. I was helping Sasha get ready for her final examination. She allowed me to zip her top and then stood in front of the mirror, admiring her short black hair before collecting her geometry set from me.

"All the best." I hugged her.

"Thank you." She smiled and walked out. Sometimes it amazes me why I have such a good relationship with my sisters. We barely fight and we are always there for each other. Why's that?

Or maybe, it's because while growing up we always felt shunned by papa. He made us feel like being born as women was already a failure. He didn't pretend, he didn't care and what's worst, we believed for a while. Or I did?
I remember when we use to play as kids and get into fights with our half-siblings, papa will always take their sides and will always punish us.

Yeah, that's probably why we have this unique bond. Papa not liking us made us love each other even more. He cornered us and like a broom, we become one against specks of dirt coming our way.
I guess that is also why Kesha is my favorite sister because she stands up to papa more than any of us, she remained our confidence and our PowerPoint.

But it's all over now. Or is it?

I feel scared honestly, if the killer is really amongst us then we are all still in danger. And finding out who killed him will be hard since all the evidence points to Zainab.

Suddenly an idea popped in my head. And like a monkey, I jumped on my bed and grab my purse, and took out the inspector's card. I dialed his number and impatiently waited as it rang. 1, 2...beep.