The Best of Her Kind

He hated them. Hated them. Hated them! They killed his father. They ruined his life. They wanted him dead. They wanted his sister dead. The humans wanted all of them dead!
-----
Ayato wasn't one to get accustomed to new surroundings very easily, especially at such a young age of 6. Neither was he, at that time, one to make friends easily either. If no one came to him, he sure as hell wouldn't go to them.

Touka, on the other hand, was wiser and knew that if she didn't get used to their new home, it would be ten times as hard for Ayato to do so. So she adapted well to the new environment -- one of sweet smelling coffee and kind people.
-----
"Ayato," the manager said softly to the boy sitting under the table, knees pulled to his chest, "you can't stay there forever, you know?" He chuckled when the young ghoul pouted.

"I won't... I'll just stay here for now..."

"As you wish, I suppose," the old man sighed before speaking once more, "say hello to (Y/N), will you? She's in need of a friend." His shoes clicked against the hard floor as he walked away.

He didn't want to talk to you. You were human. You were part of something that wanted him dead...

But you were so young... And alone... At least he had Touka and the other ghouls. You were the sheep amongst the wolves...

The blue-haired ghoul stood up and walked to your room. The door was open, so he let himself in.
-----
To say you were shocked was an understatement. Your eyes widened when you suddenly saw him make his way in, unannounced. And for a moment, once he'd caught your eyes, everything was silent.

"Hello." You said softly, sitting on your bed, legs crossed.

"Hey." He was handsome and you blushed. Ayato noticed your redden cheeks and scoffed. You were weak.

"How old are you?" You asked, unaffected by his sound of unimpressed-ness.

"6." He replied curtly.

"I'm 4." He didn't care. He didn't even know what he was doing there.

"Can you be my friend?" You asked innocently, your eyes shining with hope. You never really had a friend before.

"No." Your hope shattered; it was a big deal for someone your age. Ayato seemed to had noticed the hurt he'd caused you; he felt weird.

"It's okay," you smiled at him, "I'll be your friend first." The ghoul was at a loss for words. You were so kind, so pure, so... wonderful to him in that moment that the sudden wave of emotions running through him was tough to deal with. And suddenly, humans didn't seem so bad anymore -- at least you didn't.

He believed that he'd found one of the best in humanity.