One in a Million

16 years old. When you were 16, you were promoted to Rank 1 Investigator. An amazing feat that made Arima's legacy seem so tiny compared to yours. However, your combat skills still needed work, it was simply your hard work and prodigy-like skills that pushed you to the top. Life was generally enjoyable. But it hadn't always been that way...
--
The events after what happened in your apartment occurred so quickly that sometimes you had troubles recalling them properly. While recovering from Ayato's attack, you fell into a mild depression, but it wasn't only due to your destroyed relationship; the fact that you still don't know what exactly happened at Anteiku that day also haunted you for a long time. You managed to contact Touka and Hinami, who later told you she joined Aogiri as she felt like she had no where to go; but the several others you never saw again. You tried to call Hide, whom you knew joined in the battle simply to find Kaneki, but he never picked up his phone. It was only later on you discovered his name on the list of casualties, the discovery hit you so terribly hard that you passed out right there in front of all your co-workers. But despite knowing that your close friend was gone, you still called his number every night and talked to the empty line, making reports about your day as if he were there listening. Lastly, on the list of ghoul casualties, you spotted "eye-patch ghoul (unconfirmed)" and found it extremely strange, 'if he's dead, why put unconfirmed? And if unconfirmed means he's not dead, why put him on the casualties list?' You thought.
--
Rather quickly, you managed to recovere from both your physical and emotional wounds, and thus decided to start your life a new; you planned to sell your old apartment and in the meanwhile, search for a new one, and perhaps also a person to share it with.

After a few months, you still hadn't been able to until one fateful day...
--
"(Y/N)! I'll introduce you to your new partner, he'll be under your mentoring and eventually be beside you in leading the future Quinx squad!" Akira chirped as she led you to the meeting room where you and your new partner will finally meet. "He didn't come from the Academy so he'll be starting off as a Rank 3 investigator." She added. You were Rank 2.

She dropped you off at the door of the room, saying that she was needed somewhere else and that you should be able to introduce yourself to him alone.

You took a deep breath and held the door knob, readying yourself to meet your first ever partner. 'I wonder what he's like. Is he nice? Mean? Good-looking?' You blushed, 'Will he cooperate? Argh, (Y/N), you'll never know unless you actually meet him! Okay. Okay. I can do this I can-' You opened the door and your heart stopped.

"Kaneki?"