Rivalry

It came as a shock when Ayato handed you a small square of paper with a phone number on it, "I got a phone," he said casually. You took the paper with one hand, the other was still clenching on to your stomach firmly.

"Thank you," you managed out before you felt your knees give way. Ayato caught you swiftly before kneeling on the ground, laying your head in his lap. Your cheeks flushed red, when did he become so gentle?

"You need to get those out," he said, looking at his own kagune shards still imbedded in your torso, guilt heavily present in his eyes.

"Can you do it?" Your arms had little strength, possibly due to the loss of blood, you didn't trail any blood on the way over but a small pool had appeared where you once stood. "Please?" Your hand tugged at his sleeve.

"... Alright. It's going to hurt, so just squeeze my arm." He laid his arm across your chest, allowing you to hold on; and also making both your hearts race uncontrollably at the intimacy. How you missed him.
--
You recovered much faster afterwards, but still neither of you moved from your spot. Ayato had grown so much since then, his face was more handsome than cute and his body felt more firm.

He'd also noticed how you'd grown since the last he saw you up close; your facial features were prettier and you definitely grew taller, although still shorter than himself.

"Can I see your phone?" You asked suddenly, he complied silently, handing over his gadget. It was one of the latest smartphones, and was definitely new, so you were quite sure he bought it himself and didn't steal it. You went to the camera application and snapped a selfie before setting it as his wallpaper.

"What'd you just do?" He chuckled, his body vibrating comfortably as he did, before taking his phone back and looked at the lock screen, his eyes widened slightly before a content smile appeared on his face. "Who's this pretty lady?"

You covered your face with your hands in embarrassment.
--
You were in deep sleep as Ayato carried you to your front door, his mask strapped onto his face. He rung the doorbell and after a few seconds, an extremely familiar person answered the door. 'Kaneki?'

"She's asleep." Ayato said as he handed your unconscious form to Haise. "Tell her I'll keep in touch." Haise nodded.

Before Ayato could leave, Haise spoke up, "who're you to (Y/N)?" A tinge of jealousy tugged at his heart.

"Her lover."