Time Flies When You're Around

A/N: Hello! And thanks for reading but I'll like to clarify one thing: I have not read the TG manga although I am reading :Re so majority of the scenarios of Ayato's early life will not be following the manga but will follow the anime once he hits around 14-15 years old and joins Aogiri! Thanks :)
--
When Ayato was 8, he'd asked you when your birthday was and you simply replied with, "I forgot when it was already, so I don't celebrate it anymore." He didn't understand how you could've looked so satisfied with it; not knowing which day you were born on? He wouldn't have been too happy about it if it'd happened to him.

"I can share mine with you." He said, a faint shade of pink brushed across his cheeks.

"R-really?" You looked at him intently, your heart pounding faster than it should.

He nodded before being pounced upon by you, your arms wrapping around him, face nuzzled into his neck affectionately. "Thank you, Aya-kun!" His face shade went from rosy pink to something that looked like it had a fresh tomato smeared across it.

"(Y/N)! D-don't call me that!"
--
When he'd turned 13, you began to notice something strange about him. Ayato had a darker aura to him that kept growing, and he wasn't as nice to you as he was when you'd first met him; but you could sense that he was still the same old Ayato you'd learned to love.

"Aya-kun?" You knocked on his door softly, worried. He was leaving his room less and barely spared a glance at you whenever you walked by. It hurt you, to be honest and it also was something hard for you to accept as he was the only friend you had.

Ayato growled fiercely, "I told you to stop calling me that!" You gasped at his sudden outburst and took a step back. He whipped around and faced you, a scowl painted on his face. "What'd you want?"

"I-I wanted to talk to you..." You whispered, fearing his reaction.

'Pathetic...' The ghoul thought, he wanted to say it out loud but... How could he? You were looking at him with fear, an emotion he'd never seen in you before, but there you were, cowering away from him.

He sighed, giving in, 'just this once,' and raised his arms, welcoming you into his arms. You smiled and relaxed immediately before running to him and wrapping your arms around him, rubbing your face into his chest.

Ayato prayed that you couldn't feel his heart pounding.
--
Around two years later, he did something he could never forgive himself for; Ayato'd hurt you. He was arguing with the Manager and Touka about something you didn't understand well but you stood in the corner listening.

"Ayato! Please! You can't just leave us!" Touka yelled, grabbing onto her brother, tears dotting her eyes.

"Don't be foolish, Ayato, and listen to your sister!" This was the first time the old ghoul raised his voice. But no matter how much they tried to persuade him, the young ghoul didn't listen; it took you a while to comprehend what was going to happen from their conversation alone but eventually you got it and the realization hit you like a truck -- He was leaving. Ayato was leaving Anteiku... And you.

The thought of losing him caused you to burst into tears in the spot, everyone silenced and looked at you.

"(Y/N)," Touka was about to console you but her brother beat her to it.

"(Y/N)-chan, I'm leaving and no one, not even you, can stop me." Okay maybe he didn't plan on consoling but rather 'helping" you to get over him quickly.

"Aya-kun," you whimpered, arms raised and tears now flowing down your cheeks in steady streams. A lump formed in his throat, 'damn you, (Y/N)... Damn you for making me feel this way...'

"(Y/N), stop crying and go back to your room." He warned, eyes turning red and black.

"Ayato! Stop scaring (Y/N)." The Manager said in a low and threatening voice, but secretly hoping that your reaction to him leaving would make Ayato change his mind.

"Aya-kun..." Your sobs got heavier and your heart felt heavy, you were heartbroken at the thought of him leaving you so quickly and suddenly.

"(Y/N)..." The boy was growing impatient with your persistence; and he could feel his kagune beginning to expose itself.

"Aya-kun, p-please don't l-leave."

"(Y/N)! I SAID STOP AND LEAVE ME ALON-" he couldn't stop himself in time and felt immense guilt pierce through his chest as a razor sharp crystal shot from his kagune came in contact with your shoulder; causing thick, red blood to immediately spurt from your wound.

"AYATO-" Touka screamed in shock and betrayal at her brother, who took this as a chance and left as quickly as he could.

The tempting scent of your blood was in the air but you were like a child to the ghouls at Anteiku, so they'd managed to bring you to the hospital calmly, the only sense of panic came from the thought of possibly losing you.
--
He'd been running for a while now and stopped to take a breather. It was only then when he'd noticed the tears running down his cheeks and felt the unmistakably heavy feeling of guilt that hung on his shoulders and grasped onto his heart. The look of pure betrayal and sadness on your face was etched into his mind and Ayato wondered if it'd ever go away. It was also then, after taking a look around, that he found time moving extremely slowly and this went on even after finding 'joy' in Anteiku; it was only after a while when he realized that time went by fast only when you were around.