Desperation

Hinami was so confused. She, as his 'underling' in Aogiri, had to basically follow him around everywhere so that he could show her the ropes through example. But all he did was stalk somebody. She didn't really think much into it but got suspicious eventually.

"Ayato?" Her voice piped up from behind him as he sat on the rooftop, watching someone in the opposite block of apartments. "What."

Rude.

"Who're you stalking?" Hinami asked blatantly.

"A person."

"Who?"

"Just some guy okay?" He grumbled, crossing his arms, eyes never straying away from the window.

Hinami huffed, annoyed that she had to endure this but couldn't even get to know why. Her hearing senses were stronger than others', so why not try to use them?
--
She was quiet. Too quiet. Ayato hadn't heard even a yawn from Hinami. "Hey what're you-"

"It's (Y/N)!" She cried in joy. "You're stalking (Y/N)!" She didn't even know why she was so happy, maybe because her hearing was improving by tenfold or because she'd finally found an old friend. And also, she managed to discover the person Ayato was so interested in.

"Shh!" He glared at her. "Anyone could hear us! And besides, I know what you're thinking," he looked at her smug face, "I'm not stalking her because I like her or anything, I just..."

Hinami suddenly felt bad, looking at his usually angry face turn gloomy. "I'm sorry for prying, Ayato, but I'm really curious, can you please tell me what's happening between you and (Y/N)-chan?" She looked at him pitifully, giving him what she hoped was her best "puppy dog" look.

"Ugh, fine!" He groaned and told her his story from start to finish. "I don't know why but I feel so betrayed by her yet I can't stop protecting her." He pulled at his hair in frustration.

Hinami looked thoughtful for a while before replying, "Well maybe she was lying about the 'other man', after all, didn't you say she was desperate to get you out? People do rash things when they're desperate, don't they?" Ayato's clenched up fists relaxed and he took in a deep breath.

"I think you're right... I mean, I've never seen her with a particular guy ever since..." A smile of relief graced his features as he turned to Hinami and said, "thanks."

"No problem..." Hinami replied, glad that she was able to help before another thought popped into her mind, "So when are you going to talk to her?"