Life Changing Decisions (Pt 2)

A deep sigh escaped your lips as the rest of your flashback ran through your mind...
--
After the incident with Aogiri, you'd received a letter from the CCG, as you read through it repeatedly, only a few sentences were engraved into your mind:

"If you are to accept this invitation, you will be joining us as a 'Third Class Investigator' due to your extremely rare and sought-after knowledge and understanding of ghouls."

"Furthermore, since you do not have any record of fighting skills against the ghoul kind, you will be given a Quinque of your choice."

"Lastly, you will be under the teachings of Special Class Investigator, Arima Kishou, until you are promoted to First Class Investigator."

You almost choked when you read the last one; 'Arima Kishou, huh?' You thought, 'Isn't he a sadist?'
--
From that moment on, everything else was a bit of a blur due to the sudden happening of several events at once that rendered you exhausted. You accepted the place, with the well-wishes of your family in Anteiku (Yoshimura gave you a fatherly hug, Touka sniffles a bit and Hinami didn't let go of your sleeve until Touka had to raise her voice slightly).

The first day there you had gotten lost and only to have found Arima Kishou's office (which was where you were trying to get to with many, many failed attempts) around 5 hours later. You were so terrified of getting savagely murdered by your sadistic mentor that you almost cried in his presence...

"I'm guessing you're (L/N) (Y/N)?" He asked in a monotonous tone, a tone of voice you could only assume to be angry as you'd never spoken to him before. You nodded, fearful tears welling up in your eyes. A look of shock spread across his face before he stood up and tried to comfort you.

At the moment, Akira Mado happened to be walking past and mistook the scene for him 'bullying' you on your first day of work as a young teen.

"ARIMA!" She screamed, walloping him with her papers and hugging you away from him. "How dare you ruin our new Investigator on her first day! Have you no mercy?"

The man simply stood there, mouth agape at what seemed to be one of the most unfortunate days of his life...
--
You found yourself smiling as you looked back at that moment, it was a nice start, as you'd been assuming the worst at that time.

Your flashback ceased to continue as you suddenly found yourself distracted by your new Quinque, it was whip-like and slightly resembled Ayato's -- which was probably why you chose it in the first place.

As you were about to take a closer look at it, there was a knock on your door.

"(Y/N)-chan," Akira said from the other side, "we're about to head-off to the raid at Aogiri, would you like to come and observe it?"

"Sure," you replied, getting up from your bed and slipping on your jacket. You picked up your Quinque and placed it back in its casing before carrying out with you.
--
Akira Mado, daughter of the man who killed Hinami's parents. When you first met her, the only thing you could feel at the moment was rage and vengeance... But you soon grew to love her as a sister, after all, Hinami lost her parents to mankind where Akira lost hers to ghoul-kind. You couldn't find it in yourself to dislike her for something she didn't do.

She guided you in several areas that were proved hard for Arima Kishou to teach you. She also gave you a tour around the CCG buildings and explained to you the concept of Quinques. If Touka was your ghoul sister, then Akira was your human sister.
--
It was late into the night when the raid began; and it was only then, when you watching at a safe distance that you realised -- Kaneki was here. If Jason, who was the ghoul you recognised in the CCG network as the one who took Kaneki away, was working hand-in-hand with Aogiri, then he had to be here. 'And Ayato, as well...' You were so close yet so far from seeing them. 'I have to do something...'
--
It was a reckless move. A dumb one. A life-threatening action that almost killed you. But you never regretted it, you never regretted charging into the battle and seeing your best friend and Ayato again...

You simply pulled out your Quinque and pushed your way through the wall of soldiers, you ran into the old building, your whip-like weapon cutting through the ghouls easily.
--
You had no idea how you got there but eventually you found the dome-shaped lair and inside stood a boy with white hair over a lump of bloody flesh on the ground.

Your throat constricted and you dropped your Quinque, the echo of its fall onto the ground caused the boy to turn around, ready to kill whatever was there.

"Kaneki?" You choked out, tears forming and relieved sobs escaped your lips. "You're alive."

He gave your smile, but it was different... It was sad. "It's nice to see you again, (Y/N). But if you'll excuse me, I'll be going now. I have something I need to do."
--
The battle ended a long time ago but there you were, standing on the roof with him. You stared at the ghoul, willing him to say something. To make a move.

"(Y/N)." Was all he said.

"Aya-kun."

"I see you've joined the Doves." He'd noticed your Quinque -- which resembled his in a very creepy way.

"Yes."

"Are you happy, (Y/N)?" You knew that whatever you said next would determine when you saw him again in the future.

"Yes and no."

"Why's that, (Y/N)?" Ayato didn't know why but he enjoyed saying your name, and seeing your face.

"Because I'm doing something I enjoy but not with the person I enjoy being with."

"And who's that?" His fists clenched up tightly, hoping that your answer was what he expected it to be.

"You."