Something in Common

He was happy. For once in a long time, Ayato was satisfied with staying at Anteiku, with the human girl who intrigued him every second he looked at her. You stayed with an entire family of ghouls but never did you look afraid; in fact, you looked like you felt safe, safer than any other child he'd ever seen. He was amazed by the trust you had in them despite knowing that even something as small as a drop of blood from you could make all the ghouls go on a rampage.
----
It was that time of the day again: the time Ayato spent every afternoon with you. He walked silently to your room and entered unannounced before plopping down onto your bed and staring at you. The place was silent except for the distant chatter from the cafe downstairs.
"(Y/N)?" He asked, breaking the quietness.
"Hmm?" You returned, eyes still focused on the drawing you were working on on the ground.
"Where are your parents?"
"Nowhere. They're not alive anymore." You replied after a moment's hesitation, a glossy layer of tears covering your eyes.
"Mine, too." He didn't really know how to feel.
"It's okay, Ayato-kun!" You beamed up at him, tears still dotting your eyes, "now we have something in common!" Ayato smiled an actual genuine smile, his heart beating a little bit faster.
"I thought we always had something in common," he replied, only to receive a confused look from you, "we both needed a friend... And now we've got one..."
You gasped in pleasant surprise when you realized what he'd meant and leaped into his arms, the volume of your laughter increased when you felt his own arms wrap around you.