FIRST SOLO MISSION

“I think you solved our problem,” Wong said as soon as they came back from the basement.

Stephen pointed at the stairs and arched a brow. “You went there when-”

“Never again,” Nora interrupted. “Wong doesn’t mind.”

“If Wong doesn’t mind…”

She ignored Stephen’s comment and followed Wong up the stairs. “So ? That’s where your thing was coming from ?” He nodded. “Is it bad ?”

“I…” He stopped for a second. “I don’t know.”

“So much for being Sorcerer Supreme,” Stephen said behind them. “Just tell me if I’m bothering you.”

Nora rolled her eyes and turned around to face him. “Did you try ?” He nodded. “And ?”

“Nothing.”

“So much for being the most powerful of us all,” she said with a smirk. 

As they were talking about another spell to try, Nora took another look at the file Rhodey sent her.

New Jersey. She heard it was rather nice. She’d never been there, maybe she’d have some time to look around. She could fall in love with the place and decide to move in. She could even take a look at the houses, see what kind she liked best. 

She really wanted to have her own place. They talked about it during lunch, and the more Nora was talking about it, the more excited she was growing. 

Who could have any interest in erasing a town from the face of the Earth ? Somewhere with so few people ? It didn’t make sense. Westview. It had a nice ring to it. According to what she was reading, there was no known criminal in the area. 

She sighed, thinking about how much she was missing her life before the ring. Maybe not from that long ago, but definitely before she got her finger almost cut. She looked up and stared at Stephen for a few seconds. In the end, it all started going to shit after she talked to him the day he came to Kamar-Taj. And it kept getting worse after that. 

Nora brushed this off, ashamed that she could even think something like that after all that he did for her. She couldn’t believe her own brain thought about that. Her father had a very bad influence on her. 

And whatever was going on in Westview, it couldn’t be that bad. Probably just someone having fun with magic. 

“So it’s still there,” Stephen said, looking at Wong. 

“But we can’t see it.”

Nora joined them and dropped the file on the table. “And apparently no one remembers it.”

Wong looked up to her and frowned. “Did you plan anything lately ?”

“See ?” she yelled, pointing at Stephen. “Even Wong thinks I’m cursed !”

“Don’t tell her things like that, you’re only making it worse,” Stephen told Wong, a disapproving expression on his face. He looked back at Nora and smiled. “You’re just unlucky. Ever heard of coincidences ?”

“So many coincidences,” Wong whispered. 

“Yeah…” Nora sighed. “I’ll call Rhodey and ask him what he wants me to do.”

She left the room and leaned against the wall. She didn’t like that. The ring was rather hard to understand lately, so she couldn’t really trust it. There was no reason to panic, it was probably just a stupid guy messing with a magic he didn’t understand. 

“Is it magic ?” Rhodey asked as soon as he picked up the call. 

“Yeah.”

“Are you there yet ?”