BROKEN REALITY

When they reached the street of this new New York they’d been sent to, they were faced with a whole new scenery. The sky was grey, buildings were disintegrating, there was no one to be seen anywhere. 

“What happened here ?” Nora asked, trying to avoid being hit by a ray of red light moving towards her. 

Christine looked at the buildings. “Two realities collided.”

“Come on,” Stephen quickly added. “America doesn’t have long.”

They started walking the same streets they walked earlier. Everything was so different. Nora couldn’t stop thinking that this was exactly what that other Stephen did to a reality that didn’t exist anymore. Why he had been executed for. 

“I hope we won’t need the ring too much,” she said in a quiet voice. 

Christine and Stephen turned to her and she lit the biggest fire she could summon in front of them. Which was nothing compared to the one she sent through the streets of New York when Stephen was being abducted by aliens years ago. 

“It makes sense,” Christine explained. “This dimension isn’t the only one being destroyed. The one where your fire comes from is disappearing too.”

Nora winced. “Great. I’ve never felt safer before.”

They kept walking in silence, until Christine let out a small laugh. “Can I ask you something ? What are you two doing with a teenager ? Out of everything I’ve seen today, that’s what surprises me the most.”

“She asked for our help in another universe,” Stephen started.

“I was too scared of my nightmares to help her,” Nora continued. 

“I tried to kill her.”

“Changed my mind too late. People died.”

Christine took a second to process it and nodded. “It’s still very confusing, but you’re doing the right thing.”

Nora thought about what Wanda was doing with her. America was probably dead already. And ‘Other Nora’ was surely stuck between realities without any fire to help her. Thinking about that space between realities, Nora hit Stephen’s arm and shook her head. 

“I can’t believe you wouldn’t trust me with multiversal stuff,” she said. He looked at her, clearly confused. “You gave Christine the watch !”

“You still have a hard time understanding what’s me and what’s not, Nora,” he sighed. “And Christine knew it was important to me.”

“Wh-” Nora stopped and started at the street in front of her. “Yeah, okay. Sure. Christine would know. Fine.”

He held her arm and stopped her for a second. “Are you okay ?”

“I said fine !”

She walked faster. The sooner they’d be back to their reality, the sooner they’d find a way to fight Wanda, and the sooner Nora could leave to go be with Amarra, away from everyone. She’d call Christine, ask her to file for divorce and go back with Stephen, since it was obviously what was supposed to happen, and she’d be on her way to a place with fire. 

Because fire was good, and fire never hurt Nora the way she was hurting right now. 

“Where are we going ?” Christine asked, following them down the street. 

“Well,” Stephen explained. “If there’s still a Sanctum in this universe, then there might be another, other, ‘other me’, and that’s our best shot at getting back to America.”