SHAME

“You’re sure it doesn’t bother you to come back on a weekday ?” Nora asked Kelly as they were waiting for her brother to come back with the last of her boxes. 

“It’ll be fine. As long as your friends turn off that thing,” she replied. “How will you come back after that ? Your mother doesn’t want magic things in the house.”

“We agreed that she wouldn’t get in my room. That way I can portal myself back here. She just doesn’t want to see what I can do, that’s it.” Nora sighed. “Shit, I feel like a kid again. Maybe it was all a very bad idea.”

“I thought you could stay in New York whenever Fran gets on your nerves ?” Kelly asked. 

Nora’s eyes widened. “Nope. Not staying there. I’d rather have my mother treat me like a teenager forever. At least this time I can scare her if she goes too far,” she added with a laugh.

“I wish I could burn a few people sometimes. The clients are impossible these days,” Kelly muttered. She quickly snapped out of her thoughts and pinched Nora’s arm. “Who was it ? You ordered for two last night but the kid didn’t see anyone.”

“You shouldn’t use that kid to spy on me.”

“Why are we paying him, then ?” Kelly laughed. “So… who was it ?”

“Hm.” Nora let out a nervous laugh and took a cigarette. “So uh, I told Stephen I’d get him food from Ethan. And now he’s kinda my boss, and I don’t know if he got to celebrate or something. That’s it. It was just a-”

“Date.”

Celebration,” Nora corrected. “Anyway, I didn’t even eat the food.”

Kelly sat down and pulled on Nora’s sleeve. She leaned over, making sure no one could hear them. “Please tell me he looks just as good without his clothes on.”

“Okay, stop.” 

“What ?” Kelly asked with a confused look. “You know, being married to Ethan didn’t make me blind. I don’t want any other man to touch me, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“ Well, speaking of touching…” Nora pushed her away and made sure the neighbors weren’t there to see her lighting her cigarette. “I didn’t eat the food because I found him, in bed, with a naked woman.”

“And it wasn’t you.”

“Of course it wasn’t me,” Nora sighed, rolling her eyes at her. “So I left the food there and ate pizza.”

“Down your street ?” Nora nodded and Kelly quickly approved of her choice. “That’s good pizza.”

“Indeed.”

They stayed silent for a few seconds, until Kelly started laughing. Nora gave her a questioning look and she only laughed harder. “You still haven’t learned to knock. How many times did you catch Ethan and me when we started dating ?”

Not wanting to be reminded of these times, Nora turned her cigarette to dust and walked back inside. 

At the end of her short and busy weekend, Nora went back to her apartment one last time. She was tired, but she needed to make sure everything was ready. She wouldn’t be there to see the tenant and she didn’t want Kelly to deal with any surprise. 

When she was done checking every single room, she took down the lock on the bathroom door and walked through the portal for the last time. The next time she’d leave Kamar-Taj, it would be to go back to her parents’ house.