SMALL INTERRUPTION

“Any idea about Emi yet ?”

Nora looked at her brother and shook her head. Ever since she told them the truth about the ring, magic had become an usual conversation topic. 

Her mother was still very much confused, concerned and a little angry that her husband knew about it for years and she didn’t, but she was getting better. Of course, the idea that she married into a family that had such a weird history took her by surprise, but Nora was sure her mother was secretly grateful to have been kept in the dark. She would’ve never been the grandmother of ‘the cutest baby to have ever seen the light of day’ if she’d known.

“I ruled out burning alive anyone that would threaten her life. It seems a little illegal,” Nora laughed, hoping that it would be enough to convince everyone to agree with her. 

“I’m not against it if it saves my daughter,” Ethan said. 

“I second this opinion,” Kelly added, handing a toy to their daughter. 

“And I’m glad none of you can wear that ring,” Nora told them, a little concerned. “I asked a friend to find some people for me, see where it leads me. Maybe I can scare them a little and they’ll leave us alone.”

Her mother leaned over the table and made sure Emily couldn’t hear them. “Do they really have to kill everyone ?”

“If we’re all dead, then the Flames won’t be linked to us anymore, and anyone will be able to wear the ring,” Nora explained. “So… yes. They have to kill us.”

“Can’t they get their own ring and leave you alone ?”

Nora laughed and smiled at her mother. “I wish they could but no one knows how Amarra opened a portal to another dimension to get the fire. But you don’t have to worry. They can’t find us for now.” She glanced at the ring. “But there might be a day when they can, and you’ll have to be ready.”

Her mother turned to her husband and punched his arm. “You had to go and put your babies inside me. And now my babies are in danger !” Ethan and Nora exchanged a quick look, hearing that they were now back to being babies.

“So now it’s my fault ?” their father asked with a confused look. 

“Yes !”

Nora smiled and took her mother’s hand across the table. “Stop worrying. We got plenty of time to figure something out. I’ll find a way. Besides, Kelly and you are safe. That’s a start.”

Ethan handed Nora another drink. “All that because that Amarra woman had a bad breakup.” He looked at Kelly and frowned. “Remind me never to let our baby date anyone. Never. She’ll be a nun.”

“And I thought you didn’t have drama in your family,” Kelly laughed. 

Trying to change the focus of the conversation, Nora asked about the restaurant. It was always a good way to change the topic. She spent years hoping that they would talk about her more and less about her perfect brother, but now she enjoyed these peaceful moments when she didn’t have to promise them to be safe. 

As they were talking about the renovations of the kitchen to make the cooks’ work easier, a portal opened in the middle of the garden. 

Nora’s mother screamed, and Kelly quickly took her daughter in her arms to hide behind Ethan. He tried to shield her with his arms and their father was already trying to get Nora out of the way. She didn’t move and kept looking at them for a few seconds. Her eyes were going from the portal to Kelly, begging for her baby’s life.