WAITING FOR PUNISHMENT

Nora didn’t know how long it was supposed to take for her to feel better, but it had already been days and she was still in the same empty state. Nothing didn’t really matter anymore. 

At first, she thought she’d be going to jail, but agents 1 and 2 never left their car. They didn’t leave either. They only stayed there, parked in front of Nora’s building. She clearly told Steven that she wouldn't resist her arrest. Someone had to come eventually. So while she was waiting for them, Nora stayed in bed. She’d been tired for so long, she could really use some isolation. 

After two days, she realized that sleeping wasn’t an option anymore. Somehow, having to watch as Stephen was torturing her for the awful things she said didn’t have the same appeal when he wasn’t here to tell her that her nightmares were just that. Only nightmares that didn’t mean anything. It didn’t prevent Nora from spending all of her time in bed anyway. 

No one was talking about what she did in the news. Sure, there had been some mentions of inexplicable fires here and there, but her name had never been linked to it. People randomly bursting into flames all around the world, who did they think did it ? Did they have another person in mind ? 

Nora had to say, she was a little disappointed. She spent weeks in therapy hearing that she was just as bad as Wanda, and she didn’t deserve the same media coverage. Really, it was disappointing and mean. 

Only Jimmy had the decency to text Nora and thank her for sparing his life. She only killed the one wielding the magic, of course she wouldn’t have killed someone as insignificant as him. But it was nice to have thanked her. Maybe now he’d think about it twice before betraying her. He did a good job the second time, but Nora shouldn’t have counted on someone betraying her to have a successful plan. It wasn’t a good look for that poor Jimmy. 

Now that she was thinking about it, Nora hadn’t had any contact with anyone apart from Julie’s visit and this text from Jimmy. Finally, after years of asking everyone to leave her alone, Nora got what she wanted. Peace and Quiet. She could’ve stayed like that forever. All it took was for her to clean the world of the magic mafia, and now not only her family was free, but no one could ever harm her again. 

She looked at the bedroom door. She should get up and have something to eat. She couldn’t even remember her last meal. Did she really get up to have a granola bar yesterday or did she just fill her cup of coffee before going back to bed ? On her left, the bathroom door was open. If anyone showed up to arrest her, she should at least look decent. She should take a shower today. 

She turned around in bed and closed her eyes. 

The nightmares were still a better option than getting out of bed. 

________________

It occured to Nora that maybe no one cared about what she did. It was possible that they all knew she did the right thing by killing these people and that no one would come to arrest her. It seemed a little confusing, given that murder was still illegal. They were probably trying to figure out which country they’d be extrading her to. 

Even so, it still didn’t explain why the news was silent about the whole thing. If it was disappointing a few days ago, it was now a little insulting. 

Nora turned the popcorn package in her hands and waited for it to heat up. A few seconds later, lunch was ready. Was it lunch ? She wasn’t looking at the time anymore. She didn’t have plans anyway. She lit a cigarette, took a sip from her coffee and kept scrolling. People were having a lot of fun on Instagram, it seemed. 

She was about to get a refill for her coffee when someone knocked. 

Finally,” she whispered, already walking to the door.