WHEN ALL IS LOST

TW : Pain, blood, injuries, all related to torture
I kept it pretty low on the scale of disgusting things, but just in case.

____________

Nora had always wanted to believe that if anything was ever to happen to her, she’d think of her family. Of her loved ones. That she’d have a noble last thought before dying. That she’d think about a good memory to help her die in peace. 

But there was just pain

She would never scream loud enough to express how much it hurt. She screamed until she didn’t feel her throat anymore. She wished she didn’t feel anything at all. She wanted to die. The irony. After fighting a death sentence for years, she was now ready to die. She just needed the pain, violent and unbearable, to go away. 

But it didn’t, and Nora knew what her last thought would be. That she’d finally, finally, be free of the pain.  

“Henry, I saw something,” Bea said, leaning closer to Nora’s face. “Her eyes…”

He glanced at her and shook his head without even taking a look. “She’ll be fine.”

“What if your spell isn’t strong enough ?”

“Shut up,” he snapped back. “I don’t want to damage the ring.” He sighed and looked around him. “Can someone make her stop screaming ?”

And just like that, Nora couldn’t scream anymore. She was stuck, forced to keep it all inside her. Only a muffled and pathetic sound was coming out from the cloth in her mouth.

Her body was shaking uncontrollably, instinctively trying to escape the torture. Her head was spinning from the lack of air, or the bloodloss, or the excruciating pain coursing through her arm. Dark spots were blurring her vision. 

As she was desperately trying not to suffocate, another wave of pain flowed through her body when the saw touched the bone of her finger. She should’ve fainted by now. She wanted to pass out and never wake up. She didn’t even want to fight anymore. If that was the day she died, at least she wanted the pain to stop faster.

“It’s getting worse. I’m begging you Henry, cut that fucking finger.” Bea was trying to keep Nora’s eyes open with force, and she didn’t like what she was seeing. 

“Bea, will you please shut your damn mouth ? I’m almost done but the bone… We should have brought a bigger saw,” Hallberg sighed. 

“Will you please look at her ? Just look !” she shouted, trying to get someone to listen. 

He briefly glanced at Nora and froze for a split second. Nora’s eyes were on fire. It wasn’t possible. The Flames were peeking through. He knew he didn’t have much time and threw the saw onto the floor. 

He tried to tear the ring from Nora’s finger without any success. He mumbled something to himself and proceeded to break the bone with his bare hands. 

As that exact moment, while Nora was too weak to even listen to what was happening around her, haunted by the constant buzzing of the saw, the pain receded. Not enough for her to breathe or move, but it wasn’t getting worse anymore. For a split second, she remembered that feeling. The pleasure of the pain getting a little easier to bear. 

When her body collapsed onto the concrete, she screamed in agony. Her head hit something, and her first instinct was to touch it. She could touch her head. Her hands were free. Nora immediately took away the cloth blocking her mouth and let one more scream tear her throat apart.