PRIORITIES

“Not that I’ve been watching your hair on purpose but… did you cut it ?” Rhodey asked, leaning back on his chair. “I always thought you wanted to be the next Rapunzel.”

“I didn’t want to look like Betty Cooper anymore,” Nora said. After spending hours in front of her mirror looking at herself, she decided to trade her long locks for a short bob just above her shoulders. She couldn’t tie her hair up anymore, but she was looking a little less like a woman she wasn’t. “Anyway. I’ve watched the tapes.”

“And ?”

And ?” Nora repeated, stunned. “Rhodey, she tortured us. I looked it up. War crimes, that’s what it was. And she had the audacity to broadcast it for people to see ? I saw what I looked like, you know. It was like I wasn’t even there. But I was. I remember exactly what I was thinking when I had my few scenes on her little show. I was trying to fight back. Guess what, it didn’t work.” She took a deep breath. “The whole thing… it’s just infuriating.”

“We won’t know if she was conscious of it until we get to talk to her,” he explained. “Did you find anything ?”

“Stephen and Wong are still trying. For now they have nothing. And they don’t want me to help as long as I haven’t been cleared.”

“Which you won’t be if you keep missing your appointments,” he quickly snapped back. 

“I want another therapist,” she sighed. “I don’t like this one.”

“It’s the one they want you to see,” he said with a sorry smile. “You’ll have to go back.”

“I know,” she said with a slight nod. “It’s just not fair.”

“What ?”

“I’m going to therapy. Again. I’m still filing paperwork about it every single day. I had to talk to the UN about it. Journalists are waiting in front of my parents’ house, in front of the Sanctum. I can’t go outside without them asking questions. And what is Wanda doing ?” Nora asked. “She’s the criminal, and I’m the one being harrassed.”

“You need to go to therapy.”

“I’m fine.”

He shook his head and dropped a file in front of her. “Fifth suicide in two weeks. I had to sign papers for a kid to be put in a mental institution without his parents’ approval because they were too scared of leaving him again. It’s the fourth one this week,” Rhodey explained. “I’m tired of dealing with people who say they’re fine and then kill themselves or have to be locked up for their own safety all because of what happened in Westview. I know it's not fair. Go back to therapy or I’ll talk to your father. I know where he lives.”

Nora leaned back on her chair and sighed. “I’ll go.” Out of everything, she didn’t want her father to be even more worried about her. She was even willing to go back to talk to that heinous man they called a therapist if it meant her father was feeling better. “But I’m fine.” She left her seat and headed to the door. 

“Nora.” She stopped and looked at Rhodey. “I know you want revenge. And out of all of the people in Westview, you’re probably the only one who can try to get it. But don’t do anything stupid.”

“I can’t do anything, you know.” Nora glanced at the ring and scoffed. “She trapped me inside my own body without even knowing it. If she wants to do it again, she will. No one will be strong enough to do shit about it.”

“What’s your ring thinking about all this ?”

“It’s not working anymore,” Nora said in a quiet voice.