A NEW KIND OF TORTURE

“Are you like Wanda, the girl from the airport ? Wait, why weren’t you at the airport, by the way ? Scott asked, following them to the diner. 

“I’m a librarian, Scott,” Nora said. “I was busy with books.”

“And your ring is making you control fire.”

“Yeah.”

“And there’s a secret society of wizards.”

“Hm-hm.”

“Why is your finger like that ?”

“It’s dead.” 

“Why ?”

“Someone tried to cut it.”

Why ?”

“To get the ring.”

“Makes sense,” Scott whispered to himself. He briefly looked ahead of him before turned back to Nora. “Why did you talk about spells around a lab ?”

Nora took a deep breath and turned to him. “Scott. One more question, and I’ll probably explode.”

“He is dangerous ?” 

She shook her head and decided to walk away. Not only all of this was pointless without Tony, but now she had to go through Scott’s interrogation. She’d been through more interrogations than she’d ever thought she would, but Scott’s was the worst. One question was calling for fifteen more.

“Not him,” Steve explained. “What he’s doing. That’s why we’re not going to his lab.”

Nora looked at Nat and smiled. “Kelly says he’s a star on Twitter. I didn’t know he was doing so well.”

“Must be nice for him,” she softly said. “People not fearing him anymore.”

Scott ran after them and walked next to Nora. “Who’s Kelly ?”

Nora ignored Nat’s laugh and let out a desperate sigh. “My sister-in-law.”

“She does magic too ?”

“She’s a janitor, Scott. And a little unstable.”

“You’re unstable,” Nat said. 

“And you like reminding us you’re only a librarian,” Steve added. 

Nora turned to Steve and smirked. “In a magic place." 

Scott’s eyes widened. “Like Hogwarts ?”

“Yep. For the secret society of wizards,” Nora laughed. 

Scott shook his head and opened the diner’s door. “I’m so confused right now.”

His confusion didn’t disappear when he was officially introduced to Banner. And to be honest, they were both pretty confused. They all sat around his table, ordered enough food to feed a small country, and waited for Scott and Banner to stop staring at each other. 

“You said you had a surprise,” Banner said. 

“Aren’t you surprised ?” Nat asked with a smile. 

“I’m confused.”

Scott kept staring at him. “Me too. It’s my new thing, I’m confused all the time now.”

Nora waited for the waitress to come back with the food and leaned against the window. After a few minutes of intense confusion from Scott, she looked at Banner and smiled. 

“Hey, remember that time years ago when I had to sit and listen to you say the same thing over and over again ?” He nodded, remembering exactly what she was talking about. Nora cleared her throat and patted Scott’s shoulder. “Scott, storytime.”