SECRETS

Nora shoved the pin in her pocket and hurried back to the living room, where Stephen was opening every book he could find. She didn’t want to stay here, not knowing if and when Mordo would show up again. She needed to talk to him, but far away from Stephen and his newfound love for fights. 

“Anything ?” he asked as she walked inside the room. She shook her head and pretended to check the kitchen again. “That woman wasn’t doing anything for them.” He handed Nora a notebook. “She was just working on strengthening her spells on the mountain.”

“Dark magic,” Nora said, showing him a page in the notebook. “A lot of it.”

“I’m wondering,” Stephen started. “Why would she do that ?”

Nora looked around her and chuckled. “Same reason I wasn’t afraid of putting my hand in a fire in front of people.” He didn’t seem to understand. “Same reason you want people to keep calling you doctor.”

“I still have-”

Recognition, Stephen. This whole secrecy around magic is great, don’t get me wrong. But she wanted people to know what she could do. She chose somewhere far away from everything, made sure they’d protect her secret.” She kept turning the pages of the notebook and smiled. “Look at these spells. Useless, but they put up a good show.”

He looked at Nora and frowned. “So you want recognition. For what ?”

“I can walk through fire without hurting myself,” she explained. “It’s pretty cool.”

“Firemen are always recruiting.”

“I don’t want anyone to know about the ring. The few people who do are either trying to kill my family or forcing me into learning more magic,” she said, giving him a knowing look. “But sometimes it’s good to let people know. You saw the smile on the kid’s face when I showed him ? He’ll never tell anyone, but it's good to know that some people aren't afraid.” She cleared her throat and closed the priestess’ notebook. “There’s nothing else. I think we can go back.”

“Can’t you do your detective thing again ? Someone else might get hurt.”

She sighed and shook her head. “There’s no detective thing to do if there’s nothing to look at.”

Stephen had to agree with her and opened a portal back to the Sanctum. She quietly followed him back to the library, her hand playing with the pin inside her pocket. 

Nora completely ignored the conversation happening next to her. She needed to know how Mordo got involved in all of this. He could’ve just looked into these murders just like they were. No one said he did anything wrong. She had to find him. 

She’d stop her lessons and look into location spells. Wong said something about Mordo strengthening his protections. Of course Nora managed to burn the spell on the mountain, but this was way more advanced than that. She had no idea how much power it would need to find him. Asking Stephen for help was out of the question. Not until she knew for sure that Mordo was innocent.  

He had to be. 

“You tore a spell apart ? That’s impressive.” 

Nora looked up and stared at Wong for a second. “What ?”

“I told Wong about your portal. Were you even listening ?” Stephen asked, clearly bothered. 

“Not really. But keep going, don’t mind me,” she said, leaning back on her seat. “I was there, I know what happened.”

Any other day, Nora would’ve been delighted to hear people praising her skills. But she was now very busy questioning the morality of one of her friends. She didn’t need to talk about what happened, because nothing happened. They just knew they were looking for a man.