INTERVIEW WITH A CLOAK

“I’ll need you to replace me tomorrow,” Nora said as they were finally finishing the leftovers from another of Ethan’s gigantic deliveries. Wong briefly arched a brow at her. “They’re taking this off.” She moved her hand around, showing the splint.

Nora’s phone rang. She briefly looked at it and turned it face down on the table. She noticed Stephen and Wong’s suspicious looks and sighed. 

“It’s Lance.” They said nothing and went back to their plates but she felt like she had to explain herself. She wasn’t doing anything wrong, they had to know that. “He has questions. He doesn’t have anyone else to ask.”

“So are you seeing him again ?” Stephen asked. Wong looked up for a split second before remembering that he didn’t want to know about people’s lives. 

“You know I’m not, because you scared Tobias enough to tell you,” she said, glaring at him. “Are you still casually bedding half of New York ?”

He looked at her, cracked half a smile, and went back to his plate. 

Nora knew. And now things were a little weird. Not enough for her to avoid being in the same room as Stephen, but enough for her to be sure there would be someone with them at all times. Just in case she tried something stupid again, since she was really good at that. 

She was sure of one thing. She’d cut all of her fingers herself before she’d do anything to endanger her friendship with Stephen. She didn’t hear from her friends from college anymore, Kelly didn’t count because she was family. The only friends Nora had were the people from Kamar-Taj, and she’d never ruin that. No matter how much she was thinking about doing it all the time. 

The worst part was that she couldn’t talk with Tobias about it. That guy was the king of gossip, but he’d just crack under pressure and tell Stephen that she asked about it. Of course it would be a little inappropriate to ask Julie, so Nora was on her own. If that new situation was really serious, the survival of their friendship was resting only on Nora’s shoulders. Which weren’t very strong to start with. 

For days, she'd been keeping track of Stephen's behavior. It was confusing to say the least. He'd been bringing her coffee whenever he was coming to Kamar-Taj for years now. Even when she hated him. It didn't make sense that he'd been wanting to sleep with her since then. A week ago, she swore she saw him glancing at her hips. She couldn't hold it against him, most men were doing the same. If she hadn't been gifted on the breast department, Nora had however been blessed with a great ass.

Her main concern was to know what was genuine friendship, if there ever was such a thing, and what was more than that. And if her assumptions were founded. Since she couldn't ask anyone, she'd have to figure that out on her own. But now that she was thinking about this all day, every single day, she wasn't sure if she minded. If it would be such a bad thing.

Weak shoulders, indeed.

“I didn’t see an appointment for tomorrow on your file,” Stephen said. 

Nora sighed. “I told you to stop doing that. You don’t have a medical license.”

“And yet, I’m still in charge of your case.”

“Which seems highly illegal,” she argued. “I could sue you.” She finished her drink and shook her head. “I booked an appointment in Seattle since I have-”

No.”

She looked at Stephen. Since when did he have the right to tell her where to be treated ? She agreed to keep her monthly checkups in New York, but she was pretty sure taking a splint off was no big deal.