HOME SWEET HOME

It took Wong and Stephen two more weeks before they agreed to let Nora go home. It took her surgeon five minutes to agree to let her go back to Seattle without questioning how she’d come back for her monthly checkups. And it took Nora seven weeks to stop screaming at night. 

The hallucinations were gone, but the nightmares were as vivid as ever. She stopped talking about it when she realized how worried everyone was. And since she wasn’t waking up screaming and panting anymore, she could even pretend that they weren’t happening at all. But every single night, she was still watching herself losing control over the Flames. Every single night, she was watching people die because of her. And it was nothing therapy could fix. She was a danger, and something like that could happen any day. And she just stopped showing up to her sessions. 

She could walk on her own now. Of course her knee was still hurting and she couldn’t bend it completely, but she could walk. Only her hand was still hidden. It didn’t really bother Nora, since she decided that she didn’t want to ever have to look at her finger. The last time she tried, it was completely black and she burst into tears. She cried for hours, unable to stop herself. It didn’t make sense, because she was perfectly fine with the idea of having a dead finger. How many people lost limbs ? They weren’t all crying about it. What was bothering her more was that she sometimes had the impression that it was still alive, and when it was happening, the pain she felt when she was trying to keep it attached to her body was coming back to hit her.

All in all, Nora was doing much better. Most of the time.

Everyone was trying to keep her company. She didn’t have a second to herself, because everyone agreed that Nora Keller couldn’t be trusted with her own safety. Most days, they were just doing their own thing while Nora was working on the book she saved from the fire she caused.

And that book was definitely bigger than the other one. These people after her knew so much more about the ring than Nora that it was concerning. 

So far, Nora found an explanation as to why no one bothered to kill her before. They simply couldn’t. That was why the Flames came through when her heart was about to give up. Amarra and her husband really did what they could to cover for the shit that was the ring. They patched things where they could, leaving open wounds on other spots. 

Wong and Stephen were working on the spells they finally had access to, but it seemed that changing one of them could endanger all of the others, leaving the Keller family vulnerable. And since Nora threatened them to stop working on the book if they ever did anything like that, they were just reading pretty spells once in a while. 

Jimmy completely disappeared from the face of the Earth. Nora tried to find him without success. She wanted to ask him why he did what he did, hoping that he would apologize to her and that she’d feel better. But he just disappeared, probably protected by people she never wanted to meet again. She also tried to find Mordo, but he was back to hiding himself. She only wanted to thank him for coming when she was about to die. 

“Anything new ?” Kelly asked when she was done changing Emi’s diaper. 

“Nope.” Nora closed the book and leaned back on the couch. “My eyes hurt.”

“Then stop. You can take a break sometimes.”

“I won’t be able to work for hours,” Nora sighed. “Lance is coming today.”

Kelly left her daughter and went to sit next to Nora. “You know he really likes you, right ?”

“Hm-hm. I like him too.”

“Oh, so your little crush situation is over ?”

Nora rolled her eyes. “I should have never told you.”