I PANICKED... AGAIN

It didn’t feel right to walk exactly in the direction everyone else was running from. Stark quickly asked for the streets to be evacuated. At least Nora wouldn’t burn anyone if she lost control. She made sure no one was watching her and stopped the fire coming from a car from spreading. It was unbelievable that she never thought of investing in a decent pair of sunglasses. That would have been pretty helpful right now.

Nora froze at the sight of the huge spaceship floating over the city. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and followed the men ahead. She’d be fine. The Flames would protect her. Even without the ring, what could a spaceship do against Stephen, Wong, and two Avengers ? 

When two alien ‘people’ appeared in front of them, it was nearly impossible for her to stay in control. A car burst into flames behind her, another next to the aliens, a few others down the street. People were screaming. Wong turned to Nora and gave her a disapproving look. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. They’d be just fine. When she looked back at the street again, the fire was gone. She had to keep it all inside. If she did, no one would get hurt. No one would know about her. 

“Hear me, and rejoice,” the small alien claimed. “You are about to die at the hands of the Children of Thanos. Be thankful that your meaningless lives are now contribu-”

“I’m sorry, Earth is closed today !” Stark shouted. 

Nora stared at him with wide eyes. This didn’t sound like the best way to talk to aliens who were coming to announce everyone’s death. 

“Stonekeeper,” the alien continued, ignoring Stark and looking at Stephen. “Does this chattering animal speak for you ?”

“Certainly not, I speak for myself.” Stephen conjured two shields and took a step forward. Wong did the same but Nora refrained from any shielding. No fire allowed. She was just here to prove a point. “You’re trespassing on this city and on this planet.”

“It means ‘Get lost’, Squidward !”

“You two are banned from talking,” Nora hissed. “Shut up and let me beg for our lives.” She was still fighting to stay in control of her ring, and these two trying to piss off an alien wasn’t helping. 

The bigger alien began walking towards them. She didn’t like that. At all. She’d been scared before, but she was now terrified. Her legs were barely keeping her standing. It seemed like Dr Banner was struggling to go green, and that giant alien was only getting closer. 

Stephen turned to her. “Can you do something without burning the whole street ?”

“If you can shield the street non stop, yes. If not, I’m letting you know that it’s a miracle I’m not breathing out fire right now,” she added with a scared smile. She’d probably turn into a dragon before the aliens went away.

Stark decided to take matters in his own hands, and under Dr Banner and Nora’s amazed eyes, his suit spread over his clothes. For a second, she forgot she was about to die. She forgot that she was scared and that an Avenger knew about her fire thing. She was just-

“Nora,” Stephen said next to her. “You’re drooling.”

“Oh, I know,” she said, still staring at Stark like a child on Christmas morning. “So cool.” 

She remembered how scary the situation was when the aliens started attacking Stark. She took a step back and hoped that his suit would be enough to send them back to their ship. But one of them had magic. And if Nora learned something lately, it was that magic always beat science. 

Stephen opened a portal and pushed Banner away. When he turned to Nora and put his hands on her arms, she looked up and shook her head. 

“Don’t you dare.”