Kitten pt. 1

"Where did you even find it?" Jane whispered.

"On the street."

Jane shook her head at the mortal girl, Muse Swan, who held a small malnourished little black kitten. Muse held the kitten close to her, handfeeding the little ball of fur pieces of turkey.

"Muse, you do realize you can't keep the kitten, right?" Jane asked sitting across from the girl.

Muse paused in her task, looking up at the vampire who was in charge of taking care of her. "Jane," She pleaded, "I can't throw this little baby back out onto the street, that would be heartless."

Jane sighed and rubbed the little kittens head, earning a small purr of delight. She didn't have to be gifted with Marcus's gift to see how attached the two had become in the short amount of time.

The high ranked guard bite her lip in concentration. "Please Jane, let me keep her," Muse begged, holding the kitten closer, "I'll take care of her. I'll take full responsibility."

"I can't tell you to keep her or to get rid of her, that's not my jurisdiction," Jane responded curtly, "but I do know someone who can."

Muse tilted her head to the side as Jane motioned towards the door. Together the pair walked through the halls to whichever destination Jane had planned. They came to rest at the door, Jane knocked earning a small  deep voice saying that they could enter.

The pair entered into the vast office with tall bookshelves filled with books, folders, and rolled papyrus scrolls. Marcus had his back to the girls his nose stuck in a book. Jane bowed respectfully and Muse followed her lead.

"Master Marcus," Jane began, "we have a problem."

"Please tell me Aro didn't discover alternative music."

"No Master." Jane giggled, "Muse found a friend-"

Marcus turned, his eyes wide, "-A boyfriend?! I distinctly remember promising Charlie that I wouldn't let her date, not without me interrogating the boy."

Muse tried not to chuckle as she stepped forward. "No Mr. Volturi, I found a baby!" She held the kitten forward, smiling ear to ear.

Marcus couldn't help but smile and move around his desk towards the girl and kitten.

"I want to keep him but Jane said I couldn't."

Marcus nodded and scratched behind the kittens head. "Yes, Caius doesn't like animals in the castle."

Muse pouted and looked down at her kitten. "But there is a loophole," Marcus added, giving Muse a glimmer of hope.

"What would that be?" She asked holding onto Marcus's sleeve.

"Get Athenodora to meet the animal, she adores all animals."

"Where is she? Can I meet her?"

Marcus and Jane shared a look and smiled. "Take her to the tower Jane."

Jane gave a bow. "Yes sir."

Muse giggled and hugged the king before her and Jane raced away. Marcus chuckled to himself as he sat down at his desk to read again. He paused as he found his page again, he looked over to his computer.

"Since Muse is going to keep the kitten," he mumbled as he powered on the device, "she's going to need the proper items to care for it."