Secret Santa

"This is unacceptable!"

Aro rubbed his temples. "Mercedes, we've discussed this-"

Mercedes turned and placed her hands on her hips, glaring at the king. "-You and everyone here," she motioned to the guards positioned around the throne room, "have NEVER celebrated Christmas."

Aro sighed, "It's just another day, there is nothing important-"

Mercedes climbed the small steps and covered Aro's mouth. "It is not 'just another day' it's Christmas, the season of love, kindness, caring, and joy."

Aro sat in complete stillness and silence as the teen continued her mini lecture and pacing back and forth. "This is the one time of year when everyone isn't a complete jerk!  Families and friends spend more time together and I won't even get started on the lights and trees-"

"-Mercedes..."

"Everyone deserves some Christmas cheer!" Mercedes continued, "Especially the guards and staff, they do so much!"

"Mercedes," Aro sighed again.

"We should do something fun, something that will make everyone smile and possibly get a good laugh-"

"MERCEDES!" Aro screamed.

Mercedes turned and looked at the now annoyed king. "I'm right here Twinkle Boy, you don't have to yell."

"You couldn't hear me over yourself."

Refusing to acknowledge his sarcasm, Mercedes motioned for Aro to continue with a wave of her hand. Aro stood, descended the steps and placed an arm around her shoulders.

"Since you seem so invested in celebrating this holiday, why don't you tell us what we should do."

Mercedes took her bottom lip between her teeth. She had never truly been left in charge of anything besides her goldfish and he died due to her overzealous feedings. She fumbled for the correct answer, hoping some urgent matter would need the kings attention more than this moment but nothing came through the doors. Aro stood patiently, well as patiently as he could with the human that tested the limits of his patience daily.

Mercedes flipped through her memories of Christmas with her family and friends, pausing on something she hadn't done in the last few years due to moving away from Phoenix. Mercedes snapped her fingers, cursing herself for not thinking of the idea sooner.

"Secret Santa!" She cheered turning to the perplexed king, "We'll do Secret Santa!"

Aro, finally lost for words, rubbed his neck. "What is that?" He asked.

Mercedes smiled. "Round everyone up, including the human staff, and I'll explain."

Aro have a nod to the three guards closest to the doors who took off in great haste. Mercedes shot a quick thumbs up to Felix as she took a seat on the steps waiting for everyone to arrive.

If this was going to be the Volturi's first Christmas, it was going to be the best that she could do.