What the heart wants...

There she was, in all her splendor. A glass of blood wine held in her left hand, her right arm resting on the back of the couch as she conversed with Renata, loose strands of brown hair framing her angelic face, and a smile that seemed permanently etched into her face. Her head tilted back as she laughed at whatever Renata had said, reminding Demetri of the harmonious sound of bells.

Renata tilted her glass to her lips and paused, her attention squarely on the doors to the guard's lounge. Her friend, the unknowing owner of Demetri's unbeating heart, Maya turned her attention to the doors as well. Demetri couldn't help but watch as her red-lipped smile grew and her red eyes twinkled more than they usually did. She had set down her glass and stood, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

She came forward in a blur and Demetri felt his heart clench as she ran past him and into the waiting arms of his best friend, Felix. Felix easily picked up his lover, twirling her as she held onto and kissed him.

"I missed you, Pookie," Maya sighed as she wrapped her legs around him.

"I missed you more, Beautiful," Felix replied, his arm sliding into place under Maya to secure her to his body.

Maya's head dipped into the crook of Felix's neck and shoulder, her bashfulness on display as her boyfriend complimented her.

Demetri watched as the pair entered their little world of love and bliss. It had no more than four hundred years since Maya had joined the guard, earning the attention of the kings for her ability to control fire and the unmated male guards' attention for her beauty. Demetri had his chance to win her heart yet he hesitated, allowing his best friend to swoop in and win Maya's affection.

Not a day went by that Demetri didn't curse himself for being so foolish to let a woman like Maya slip through his grasp. It should be him she runs to when the world comes crashing down around her or greeting him when he returns from missions.

"Demetri," Maya called.

Demetri threw a smile on as Maya pulled him into a hug. "Thank you for bringing Felix back to me in one piece," she thanked before kissing the tracker's cheek. "You truly are a wonderful friend."

Friend. That word stabbed Demetri's heart and left a bitter taste in his mouth. That's all he'd ever be to Maya, a friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

Demetri gave a nod and patted her hip. "That's what friends do," he stated almost robotically, "care for what the other loves."

Maya gave Demetri a farewell kiss on the cheek before Felix dragged her away and Demetri felt his heart sink more as Maya turned her loving stare up to the prized fighter.

The only man she had eyes for. The only man who could hold her the way Demetri could only dream of.

Demetri turned his attention to the bar and ordered his usual just as Heidi slid into the chair next to his. He knew what she wanted, and tonight he knew he needed more than just a drink.

Demetri threw on his most charming smile and turned his attention to the enchantress. He could pretend she was Maya, even if just for the night.