For Her Protection... Pt. 2

Requested by dominique_gvo

"Can't we just say I'm sick?" Violet asked.

Demetri looked up from his book to where Violet stood in front of her mirror, fussing over her chosen attire. "Then the queens would come here," Demetri countered, "I would advise against letting a vampire into your room."

Violet stopped readjusting the belt around her waist. She turned those brown eyes of hers to her friend to see him smirking at her already. He was baiting her, trying to ease her mind away from what she was supposed to do. She knew better than to play games with Demetri, he always had a way of cheating, but she needed the distraction. If not, her nerves would be shot by the time she was supposed to meet Marcus and Aro's wives.

"I've already let a vampire into my room," she answered.

Demetri gasped. "Who?" he asked. His smile grew by the second.

Violet played coy, tapping a finger against her chin. "I don't remember his name," she answered, "but he's tall, athletic build, red eyes, blond."

Demetri sat straighter as Violet continued. "Too bad he had such a plain face."

"P-plain?!" Demetri sputtered, "How dare you call me plain!"

Demetri sprang from his seat and Violet squealed as she ran behind the couch. Since the day Demetri had to carry off Violet after her verbal lashing from Caius, the tracker had taken it upon himself to make her smile, and if he was lucky, laugh. He threw caution into the wind, earning not only Violet's trust but her friendship.

Demetri chased Violet around the couch before zooming to the other side to catch her. Violet gave another squeal of delight as they crashed onto the couch. Violet looked down at her friend and playfully swatted at his chest.

"Cheater," she accused.

Demetri rolled his eyes and maneuvered them to a less compromising position in case someone walked in and got the wrong idea.

"Are you ready to meet the queens now?" Demetri asked.

Violet looked down at her hands. "I still don't understand why I need to meet them."

Because you are one of them, Demetri wanted to say but refrained. "The queens have heard so much about you," he half-lied, "It's not every day you hear of a human that survived months of living here."

Violet chewed on her bottom lip. "What if they treat me like...." she trailed off but Demetri knew who she was referring to.

"I'm sure they won't." Demetri held Violet's hand in his. "I'm sure they'll love you, just like everyone else does."

Violet mumbled yet Demetri still heard her as clear as day. "I can name one person who hates me."

Together, the two made their way to the sunroom the queens would occupy when the weather was nice. Demetri held the door, as Violet made her way inside.

The room was large and with tinted windows to keep most of the sun's rays out. Aro sat on a loveseat with a woman nestled in his arms as he read to her in a language foreign to Violet's ears. Marcus was busy drawing another woman who was busy arranging flowers.

The woman stiffened, catching the scent and heartbeat of the newest addition to their family, and turned. She was the first to lay eyes on Violet and could see why the universe had given her to Caius.

She was small in stature, thin-framed, and held a timeless elegance to her youthful face. She had kind eyes, ones that easily let you see every thought that crossed her mind. She held her hands in front of her, her eyes searching for something, or most likely, someone.