Chapter 8

Prince Gumball POV:

It had been more than a week since I had played video games at Marshall's place. He sits next to me during lunch, and sometimes sneakily holds my hand under the table, so other people can't see. I walk back to the palace in complete silence. Marshall had to leave early, so he can't walk me back, and even Fionna is busy. I let out a sigh. I walk up to the door, smiling at the Candy Kingdom citizens as I go past. I walk straight through the door and go up to my room, dropping my bag by my bedroom. I open the door to my living room and to my surprise, its pitch black inside. I search for the light switch but the curtains fly open first.

"Surprise!!" Shout some voices. I look around and see Fionna, standing next to her is Flame Prince, next to him Marshall and next to him Lord Monocromicorn and Cake. "Happy Birthday!" Shouts Fionna, running up to me and enveloping me in a hug. She hands me a box covered in paper.

"Guys, you didn't have to..." I say.

"Of course we did! It's your birthday after all." I take the box and open it, revealing a set of three beakers.

"Thank you so much, Fionna!" I say, hugging her again. Marshall and Flame Prince give me their presents too. Marshall disappears for a moment and Fionna says, "Oh yeah, and we got you a cake too." Marshall comes back with a strawberry and vanilla cake, my favourite. After we've finished eating the cake and watching a movie, Fionna and Flame Prince get up. "I hope you don't mind, but we've got to go. I'm going on a date with Flame Prince. He's been planning it for a while but didn't realise it was on your birthday."

"Yeah, sorry about that." Adds FP.

"Its fine, you too go and have fun." I say. Fionna smiles and runs off with Flame prince. "I guess I'll have to stay and help 'tidy up' then?" Says Marshall with a smirk. I nod and start picking up the leftover paper plates. Marshall rushes over to me and grabs my hand.

"I was joking silly. Come on, let's go watch the stars." He pulls me to the french doors and we step outside into the cool air. Marshall swings his legs over the wall of the small balcony and pats the space next to him. I gulp and walk toward him.