Chapter 42

The fourth and final part of this story

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prince Gumball's POV:
I open my eyes slowly and roll over onto my side. The sun hasn't risen yet. There's a vase on my bedside table overflowing with flowers, just like there is every year on this day. I wipe my eyes and look more closely. Daisies. Marshall comes swooping into the room. 

"Happy 5 year anniversary," he grins and slips a kiss onto my forehead. I pull him down onto the bed and wrap my arms around him. 

"Where did you even get daises? It's still winter..." Marshall ignores my question and instead pins me to the bed, planting kisses all the way up my neck playfully. I giggle as I try to push him off.

"Come on Marshall, we'll miss the sunrise."

Every year on our anniversary we pack our breakfast in a picnic basket and eat it at sunrise on the hill where Marshall proposed to me. Marshall also insists on packing the basket every year. And getting me flowers that correspond with the amount of time we've been together for, too. 

"How do you even know what flowers to get for each year?" I once asked him. 

"I had a lot of free time before I met you. Did a lot of reading."

Marshall waits impatiently at the bottom of the stairs. As soon as I reach him he wraps one arm around my shoulders and holds the basket with the other. It's still fairly dark outside and the early morning air is chilly, but I can already see hints of lilac in the sky.

"So five years..." Marshall says to me.

"It seems like an awful lot, don't you think?" Time really flies. "But, I mean, considering we got married at 21 we've still got many years ahead of us." 

"Well I'm fine with that as long as I'm with you." I say to him, but immediately cringe as I realize how cheesy it was. Marshall notices and chuckles quietly. 

"We better hurry up if we want to catch the sunrise." I nod, and then smile as a thought crosses my mind. I slip Marshall's hand off my shoulder and intertwine my fingers with him. 

"Ok then, lets run." And I start to run. 

"Hey, Gumball-!" I let out a laugh and pull him along behind me. Marshall gives in and we're running through the grass, frost crunching under our feet. Two 26 year olds running over hills like we're little kids, like we are free and have no worries or responsibilities. The cold air fills my lungs and my legs start to ache as we run up the hill but I couldn't care less. I haven't run like this in years. We reach the top of the hill just as the sun begins to creep over the horizon. Marshall sits down on the grass next to me. He's trying not to show it, but he's out of breath too. I guess he doesn't really have to run much if he can just fly everywhere.

"Hey, Gumball," he says to me. "Have you put any thought into, like, the future?" 

"What do you mean?" 

"I don't know, like, our family..."

Marshall Lee's POV:
Gumball stares back at me blankly.

"Family... you mean, expanding ours?" I look straight at him, keeping his gaze. 

"Yeah, I mean, if that's what you want, too." In truth I've been thinking about it for the past year. My life is the best it's ever been at the moment, but if we added a, a child into the picture, it would take our lives in a completely different direction. The only thing is, what does Gumball think about it? He's still the ruler of Aaa, would he think children would just get in the way and be too much of a hassle?