Chapter 36

Marshall Lee POV:

I open my eyes and for a second I'm startled by the pink mess of hair that's right next to my face. But then a smile breaks out on my face. It has been so long since I slept in the same bed as Gumball. It has been so long since I slept in the same room as anyone... I take a moment to take it all in. The smooth curve of his jawline. The way his hair sticks up at all angles. The way his eyelashes brush his cheeks ever so gently. But it is as if Gumball can sense me staring at him, for at that moment, his eyes flutter open. "Morning." I say to him, kissing the top of his forehead.

"Morning," he mumbles, snuggling his head against my chest.
"Hey, we have to get up." I say, smoothing his soft pink hair down. "No..." he mumbles into my chest, pushing his whole body against me like a child who had bad dreams. "Bubba...come on. Its already 11 am. I thought we were going to get my stuff today...maybe do some baking..." Although Gumball didn't like to show it, baking was his weak spot. And I know exactly what to say to get my sleepy lover out of bed.
"Fine." mumbles Gumball, extracting himself from the sheets. We both have a quick shower and then get dressed before heading out. I grab my cloak on the way. I'm not risking anything ever again. We head towards my house to pick up a few things that never really made it to Gumball's place. And also a few things that I brought back when we... weren't on the best of terms. On the way Fionna sees us and starts to walk over. Gumball exchanges a nervous glance at me. At first im not sure why. But then I remember; when we first started going out we didn't tell her for quite a while, and she wasn't too happy. "Hey guys!" she says. But the chirpiness is gone from her voice. She must still be recovering from the other day. I see her glance down at Gumball's hand, and I know she saw the ring. "Gumball..." she starts.