Chapter 9

Prince Gumball POV:

I inch towards Marshall. As I get to the balcony wall, I suddenly realise how high it is. Marshall sees the fright in my face.

"Come on, Gumball." He says, extending his hand to me. I slowly place my palm onto his, feeling the rush of energy I get every time we touch. He pulls me up onto the ledge and let's go of my hand as I lower my legs down. I try not to look down. It's too high. I try to relax, but my body is stiff. I set my arms down on the cold stone to hold me in place. Marshall places his hand onto mine and looks up at the sky. I watch as his midnight black hair flops back, uncovering most of his face.

"Isn't it beautiful?" He says, more to himself than me. I look up at the sky. It really is. It's a clear night and I can see every star clearly. The moon lurks just above the horizon, as if unsure whether to leave or not. Marshall looks back at me, and I look back at him. He tilts his head slightly and a strand of his hair falls across his face. I bite my lip. I can't resist the urge to tuck it back behind his ear. I reach for it and slowly put it in place. Marshall smiles at me. As I start to pull my hand away, he grabs it and pulls me closer to him, before bringing his lips to mine. I tense up, unfamiliar with the feeling of another person, especially Marshall, being this close to me. Electricity flows through me, and I relax and kiss him back. Marshall pulls back. The kiss was brief, but to me it felt like an eternity. We sit facing each other, Marshall grinning at me, me grinning back.

"C'mere," he says, extending his arms to me. I shuffle closer and he wraps his arms around me and I rest my head against his shoulder. We are quiet for a while, before he speaks again.

"Thanks you."

"For what?" I say without moving my head.

"I...I haven't been this happy in a long time." He whispers. I smile. "Neither have I."