Chapter 22

Prince Gumball POV:

After a few more hugs and a much needed hot chocolate, I head back to my palace. It has stopped raining now, but the sun is hiding behind the clouds, as if its scared to come out. I walk straight through the Candy Kingdom, not turning to look at anyone. I can't help but hope that when I get back, Marshall will be standing there, and say,

"Hey Bubba, sorry I left for a bit, but I'm back now."

But I know that's impossible. He's down in the nightosphere with his mum, probably becoming ruler right as I speak. I should be happy for him. That's what he spent his whole life waiting for. I wonder what his mother is like. I guess I'll never meet her. But I don't mind. If only Marshall were here, if only I could spend one more day with him. It happened so suddenly. One day I thought I hated him, that I had had enough, that I didn't need him trailing around in my home for no apparent reason. But then when he nearly died, I realised that I still needed him. I still loved him. And he still loved me. I hadn't been that happy for a year. But then the next day he was gone, erased from my life. I shake my head. I never thought so much could change in a few days. The palace is right in front of me now. I stick my hand in my pocket to get my keys, but when I look up, I freeze. The front door is wide open. Somebody has broken in. My body tenses up. Somehow I get my body to move and I edge in through the door. I tread lightly and check all the other back doors, they are locked. That means the intruder is still inside. I hear the creak of a door upstairs. Cold sweat trickles down my spine. What if they are armed? What if they want to kill me? I creep towards the stairs. Avoiding the ones the ones that creak, I climb up them. When I reach the top, I see that the door to my room is open. The window is open, too. Whoever came in most probably left through the window. I start towards my room. They could still be inside. I keep going. Just as I'm about to enter, a hand clamps over my mouth and pulls me in. A scream catches in my throat. Another hand closes over my eyes, and I'm more scared than ever before. I'm at the mercy of my intruder. I could die.