Chapter 17

Prince Gumball POV:

I open my eyes and see Marshall lying in the same position as he was when we laid down in the afternoon, but his arm is hanging by his side instead of over me. A smile creeps onto my lips. We are together again. Happy. Slowly i sit up. I turn my head towards the window and see the late afternoon light disappearing behind the horizon. A memory hits me like an arrow to the brain. Marshall is leaving soon. And he probably won't come back. Marshall's body shifts and his eyes flutter open.

"Hey," I say to him. He brushes the hair away from his eyes and props himself up on his elbows to look out the window.

"It's getting late..." He mumbles and gets up off the bed. I get up too. With one swift move he picks up his guitar and slings it over his shoulder. He turns to me and takes my hand.

"Come on, I have to go soon, walk with me?" I nod and follow him out into the crisp evening air. Marshall turns to me and places his arms around my waist, pulling me into an embrace. His arms wrap around my back and mine curl around his neck.

"I'll miss you," he breathes into my shoulder.

"I will too." I whisper. He lets go, and I feel cold without his body next to mine. He's leaving. He really is. A tear falls down my cheek, but Marshall sees it before I can brush it away. "Hey," he says, cupping my chin, "I'll be back." He smiles at me, but I can tell he's just trying to be strong. I can see the tears brimming in his eyes. But I know that he won't be coming back. He shoves his hands in his pockets and starts to walk away. "Don't forget me, Marshall Lee!" I try to sound playful, but my words wobble.

"I won't!" Marshall shouts back. And then he's gone, lost in the black of the night. I sit down, clutching my knees, as the tears start to fall down my face. I feel empty. Its like the feeling you get when you want something for a very long time, and the day you get it you are thrilled that you finally got it, but then it breaks the next day, and you are distraught. Its like that, but much worse. A gift can be replaced. Marshall Lee cannot.