Chapter 20

Prince Gumball POV: 

I wait outside as Fionna makes her way towards me. The grass is wet from the rain and I'm getting mud all over my shoes, but I don't care. "So," she says as soon as she gets close to me. "What's going on?" I look up at her and see her perky eyes and full face. Everything about her radiates happiness and suddenly I can't find the will to actually tell her about Marshall.

"Um..." My throat feels dry. She looks straight back at me, still smiling. Turning my head to the side, I clear my throat and start again.

"I just came by to see how you and Flame prince are doing." I say, still not looking at her. "Gumball." She says. "Gumball look at me." I slowly turn my head and look at her. The expression on her face is now serious. "I can tell something is wrong. You've lost that spark in your eyes, and you look like you've been crying. Also, most people don't go out in the middle of a storm wearing an apron." I look down. It's true, I'm still wearing my apron. She thinks for a moment before saying, "Is it to do with Marshall?" I wince at the sound of his name. "Well, I guess so." I whisper.

"So come on! Tell me what's wrong about Marshall!" Fionna crosses her arms and waits for me to start. When I don't she speaks again.

"Gumball, I can tell this is bothering you, but you have to let it out of your system. And being the friend I am I will stand here until you tell me." I look up and see that she's dead serious. I swallow hard and begin.

"Well, you know me and Marshall weren't exactly on the best of terms lately..." "Well, yeah, you didn't even dance together at my birthday party." I glare at her and she lifts here eyebrows.

"Sorry. Continue." I clear my throat again. I've been doing that a lot lately.

"Well, we sort of broke up. Well I broke up with him, so to speak. But that's not why I'm upset." It's obvious that Fionna wants to say something, but she keeps her mouth shut. "I sent him out in the middle of the day and...uh...he nearly, um, yeah..." I look down at the ground and continue.

"And we got back together. We were happy. But he left..." I look up at Fionna to tell her its ok to talk now. "Left? Like, broke up with you or left like went away?" She practically bursts out. "He had to go back to the nightosphere..." Fionna thinks about this then says, "So he's not coming back, is he?" I shake my head. "You really miss him, don't you." I nod my head and a tear slips down my cheek. "Come here." Fionna wraps her arms around me and holds me tight. "It's ok, he might still come back. He's Marshall Lee, after all."