Chapter 24

Marshall Lee POV:

I wake up and stretch my arms out to the side, but Gumball isn't there. He probably already got up. We slept in the same bed for the first time in months. A smile creeps onto my lips as I remember how we lay together, cuddling until after midnight. I swing my legs off the bed and head downstairs. Gumball is in the kitchen making pancakes. When he sees me he smiles. "Morning sunshine." He chirps. I groan. I'm never up this early. But apparently Gumball is. He's fully dressed and ready like he's about to go out. He sits down with his pancakes and slides a bowl of strawberries across the table in my direction.

"What's the rush?" I ask.

"We're going over to Fionna's house." He replies with a mouthful of pancakes. "Ok then." I finish the strawberries and go put my clothes on. When I come down Gumball is waiting for me with a black umbrella. "Its hot outside. I don't want you to..." He looks down at the ground.

"Get hurt...or anything." He finishes. I nod and take the umbrella. The walk to Fionna's house doesn't take long. When we get there, Gumball knocks on the door. Fionna opens it shortly after. "Hey Fionna." He says. "Well someone looks happy. Did you get over Marshall already?" I step into her view and she covers her mouth with her hands. "Marshall! You came back!" She says, hugging me. "Er, yeah." I say. "That's great, because last time Gumball came over he looked really depressed and he cried, like, every time he said your name, and-" Gumball lets out a nervous laugh.

"Er, thanks Fi. Can we come in now?" I can't help but smirk. I guess Gumball is a really emotional person. I couldn't imagine myself crying that much over him. Although he nearly lost me last time, and then he lost me for real. I step inside and see Flame Prince playing card with Cake in the back room. He looks up at me and smiles a hello. I notice Gumball looking at Fionna. I look too.

"Hey, Fi," I say, "what's that on your finger?"